Remington Pre-11 autoloading shotgun revitalization

dnsharpshooter

Hello all, I've got a pre-model 11 autoloading shotgun. serial number research shows it was made in 1908 or 1909. shoots like a dream, but doesnt look like it.
when i got it, the bluing on the receiver was pretty much gone, and the barrel wasnt far behind. i used a birchwood casey perma blue kit and redid and barrel and receiver, and now the metal parts of this old gun are looking great.
the next area is the stock/forend. theres nothing wrong with them, but i just think they look sort of out of place now. id like to do some kind of rubberized soft touch paint. i really really like the Browning "Dura-Touch" finish. can anyone recommend a product that will give me what im looking for? thanks!

Don't use any truck bed liner type finish without first trying it on a scrap with your gun cleaning and lubricant products. I tried it (don't remember the brand) but it turned to jelly when in contact with CLP. It was for a wood stock that had some different colored wood "patches" to repair the chipped areas. I ended up using a satin black engine paint. Not soft, but it looked ok on the "bubba" repairs made to an old Remington 11 16ga shooter.
(I have some nice, rough-cut walnut stocks for it to finish someday - likely when I retire though!)

i ended up stripping it, sanding, and staining it with Minwax Ebony stain. once it dries im gonna hit it with their clear polyurethane stuff to seal/protect it. ill throw up some pictures once its all done :)

Wood Stock Revitalization

I recommend using a traditional refinish technique. Strip old finish & apply new finish. There are all types of ways to do this & a lot of how to's one the Internet, including this Forum (shotgun & Smithy). I was brand new to all of this 9 months ago having never even seen it done by others, & now refinished 2 stocks & working on my 3d. My preference is strip with Citristrip (may require repeat twice). Simply follow directions. Then I prefere pure Tung oil as a finish, but there are plenty of others that are easier & many would argue more effective.

Back