Remington parts

Chox

Inactive
Anyone know if the fore arm from any other shotgun will fit a Remington model 878. I purchased one from local Pawn shop for next to nothing on account they did not want to spend the time or money to restore it, 'tis in terrible condition but I plan to make a nice looking shooter out of it.
Thanks for any help in saving this old gun.
Chox

I figure I will have less that $200 in the gun and a lot of elbow grease when it becomes a shooter, not restoring it to sell but as a gift. May not be worth it money wise but pride in being able to do it is going to be enough, that is if I am able.

the 878 was prone to cracking the alloy receiver.
and too, the cheaply made carrier would bend and cause issues.
stop while youre ahead and just shoot it until it dies.

I have yet to see an 878 with an alloy receiver. They were all steel. It shared many parts with the Sportsman 58, and was an "improvement" in that it did not require adjustment as the Model 58 did. The carrier was very similar to the model 870 which served from 1950 until the advent of the Flexi-Tab system almost a half century later.
The 58/878 was popular until superseded by the Model 1100. The Sportsman 58/878 handled differently than the 1100 - less weight forward, and many people still prefer their feel. The weakest link was the link between the action bars and the gas piston, but when it fails many gunsmiths can repair it with an even stronger set up.

correction....steel receiver.
im thinking the m59 (win)
I had a 878 skeet. rare pup indeed with a vr.... factory vent rib.:cool:
only worked with 3 dram loads. we tried everything. turn this turn that...clean this clean that.
worked fine....but that carrier bent and it was game over.

Back