Remington Mosin Nagant

SPUSCG

Curious about this, saw a "remington mosin nagant" at cabelas scraping $1,000. 2 things surprised me. One, 1000 fore a mosin?:eek: and 2, reminton made commie guns? Whats the story with this rifle?

Contracted by the Russians for their Imperial army. The contract fell through when the revolution occured.

It wasn't a commie gun in the days that this rifle would have been made (keep in mind the Mosin-Nagant rifle predates the USSR by decades). They were made for the Russian Empire in the WW1 era.

The russians couldnt produce enough of their own? BTW, how do these compare to a standard milsurp mosin.

here's a brain twister as well. a handful of US units were equipped with the remingtons during the latter years of the first world war, both stateside and abroad.
quality was/is better than any of the russian produced guns.
remington had a hard time getting going with them.
the russian drawings, gauges, and samples all varied differently from each other. and then the russian inspectors came over and just got in the way.

I wouldn't be too surprised over it. I saw a pair of 1903-A3s in a Cabelas with $1700 price tags. These were generic A3s, not anything priceless.

Same with the $1000 M-1 Carbine.

It seems the majority of the Cabelas used racks I looked at were overpriced.

The russians couldnt produce enough of their own?

Nope. They were fighting a losing war, taking massive casualties and losing tons of territory at time when they actually hadn't yet developed massive industrial capacities; that capacity would only come some time after WW1. Basically, they were in a war they were very ill-prepared for.

Your right its not worth a grand I've seen them go on gun broker for about 350 or so its a rip off just like every thing else a Cabelas.

Yeah, i think its funny when the model 60 on the used rack cost the same as a new one. Although there are some good deals there. Its a mixed bag at cabelas.

I have a Westinghouse built, Finnish rebuilt, M1891 with a mint Westinghouse barrel.

For $1000.00, I would be tempted to sell it.

Would it go to $2,000 if I sit on it another 20 years?

Reminton Mosin Nagant?

Why they didn't made a Mauser K98K reproduction at 7,92x57?
There are shooters that would pay even 2.000$ for this guns.

For the record, Mosins where made all most 30 Years before the rise of communism.
Nice guns, they are still working fine if the conditions of storage where good.
Maybe is hard to find ammo trough...

Further info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

Did you know that Winchester made 300,000 lever actions
( model 94 I think ) That used magazines to use the
moison nagant 7.62 x 54R cartridge ?

Actually Winchester only made 400,000 total with 75 percent
going to Russia just before WW-I

It was the 1895 model lever action rifle in 7.62x54r you are thinking about. I've never seen one for less than a grand.

Jimro

The russians couldnt produce enough of their own?
Nope. They were fighting a losing war, taking massive casualties and losing tons of territory at time when they actually hadn't yet developed massive industrial capacities; that capacity would only come some time after WW1. Basically, they were in a war they were very ill-prepared for.

In the 1920s and 1930s, wile the rest of the world was in a devastating depression, communist Russia performed the worlds first economic development "miracle" under Stalin's iron fist. Year over year industrial capacity increases almost always in the teens, often up in the twenties and a few years I believe in the 30s(percent). Of course, most of that had to do with Stalins policies of starving populations and selling the agricultural produce overseas to buy modern machinery. Before the communist revolution there was basically 0 industry in Russia.

Cabela's used gun prices are high. There new gun prices are high. Their gun accessory prices are high. You get where I am going with this?

I do like their house brand of scopes for shotguns/muzzleloaders.

It was the 1895 model lever action rifle in 7.62x54r you are thinking about. I've never seen one for less than a grand.
Thanks Jim. My long list really needed another gun on it :(

No army ever has enough rifles during wartime and, even more surprisingly, there never seems to be enough even after the war is over. That's why there were M1 Garands and Lee-Enfield rifles still being manufactured ten years after the end of WWII.

And did you know potatoes were being exported from Ireland during the potato famine?

Back