Remington Mohawk 600?

SoDak

Inactive
I just recently got a new (new to me) rifle from my Mother-In-Law, and it is a Remington Mohawk 600 in .243. I took this gun to the range and it is a real tackdriver, but I have never seen nor heard anything about this model. I need to order a new safety selector switch and would like to know at least what I have. Any Help?

------------------
SoDak

Think you have an uncataloged economy grade version of the 600 regular and 660 magnum rifles built after the catalogued line was discontinued.

I believe Jeff Cooper built his Lion Scout on a 660 in 350 Rem.Mag. and used it to stop ( what else? ) a charging lion at 12 paces. And earlier 308 Scouts were also built on the rifle.

( Hmmn... if the 350 was a short action equivalent of the 35 Whelan, replacing or converting the bolt to take the belted magnums and expanding the neck to take a 400 caliber slug would create a short action version of the Howe/Whelan developed 400 Whelan and one without any headspace problems requiring a controlled round feed rather than a push feed. Nah, forget it, I'd still need the 350 Griffin and Howe/ aka 350/375 H&H \ built first. )

Thanks for the reply Rusty. I am excited about the rifle and any background on it is much appreciated. Thanks again.

------------------
SoDak

Actually the Mohawk was the economy version of the 600 series. It came with a plain barrel and was chambered only in .222 Rem, .243 Win or .308 Win. They were manufactured from 1971 to 1979.
I have a 600 that I really like to shoot also. :)

I shot a friend's 600 Mohawk the other day. Shot a one-hole group (didn't measure) at 100 yds, easily. Gun had aftermarket trigger and fat, ss Shilen barrel in .223.

Dunno about lately, but they were getting into the $300-$350 range at gun shows, a few years back.

Homely little critters, but they shoot good. A trigger job is commonly needed--no big deal.

:), Art

Back