Remington Mohawk 600 collector ????

Sensai

Hi, first post so please bear with me!!

I have a Remington Mohawk 600 that I acquired years ago while stationed in Germany. I got it new through the "gun club" on post, not on the German economy. I can not find any information on a Mohawk in this configuration. It has a Manliker (sp?) full length style stock with contrasting pistol grip and forearm caps and cut checkering. Good looking wood, and overall a very good looking little carbine. It's chambered in .243 Winchester, and is a tack driver.

I use it occassionally for deer hunting, and am beginning to think that maybe I should start treating it more as a collector. It's in excellent condition now, but I would hate to find out that it's valuable right after damaging it !!

Any information about this little carbine would be greatly appreciated.

Sensal, are you sure about the Mannlicher stock? Such a stock gos all the way to the end of the barrel, sometimes with a brass tip, sometimes plain wood. The normal Remington 600 has a long forearm in relation to the 18 inch barrel but it's not considered a Mannlicher. I'm unable to find any reference to a full mannicher stock with the 600 or 660.:confused:

I'll try to get some pictures posted this evening. Yes, it is a mannlicher stock. the end cap is even with the muzzle. It has a cheek rest and cut checkering. I am having the same problem finding any reference to this configuration. I know that it is the original stock, because I took it out of the Remington box myself. It is oil finished, and much higher quality than the standard stocks that I have seen from Remington.

:( Finally got some pictures, but they're too big. I will post them after I get the file size smaller.

Think I got it right this time. I have close-ups of the left and right side markings, but can only upload three files.

Attachments

• left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 1,949
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,342
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:
Looks like a German stock to me and the checkering looks vaguely familiar.

Okay, here's a post I found on-line from someone who has some facts...

"Remington tried in the late 70' to enter the european marked. The Mohawk was dressed in an Anschutz full stock - not anything fancy but the result was a nice looking balanced rifle. There where only made 150 -200 of these. Got one myself. Greetings from Denmark"

Thanks, Johnbt, that's what I'm thinking. I've got a request for info in to the historian at Remington, so maybe I will have a final and definitive answer soon. As soon as I do, I'll share it. Seems that there are many contrasting oppinions as to where these things originated. If anyone knows for sure, it should be the Remington folks themselves. I just want to know whether to hunt with it this year or not. It's one of my favorite hunting arms, and I'd hate to have to retire it.

Seems as if you've got a rare one. The 600 was build before it's time, now it's in demand as a Scout rifle. Keep us posted on what Remington tells you. That Mannlicher stock looks really nice on a carbine.

Fascinating. I knew Savage tried to get in the European market in cahoots with Anschutz but did not know Remington had made the same effort.

A judge near here once restocked a 660 .350 Magnum in Mannlicher style walnut, with a steel trigger guard instead of the flashy laminated stock and plastic trigger guard.

Sensai,

Glad I spotted this thread, I also have one of these neat little rifles.

Mine is in .308. It is new unfired in the original box.

The box is brown cardboard with a Remington label with both English and German wording.

A good friend that was stationed in Germany picked it up through the Heidelburg Rod & Gun club, and brought it back.

Like you I am curious as to what they might be worth.

I would think that a good starting point might be the price of a current full stocked Md 7 rifle. After that you can contemplate the collectors value.

It is interesting that only 150-200 are believed to have been produced.

Please IM me if you hear from Remington.

Thanks, M

This is the entry from Blue Book of Gun Values, 29th ed.

MODEL 600 MOHAWK - .222 Rem., 6mm Rem., .243 Win., or .308 Win. cal., this variation was a promotional model, 18 1/2 in. barrel with no rib. 94,920 were mfg. 1971-79

100%--$420
98%--$340
95%--$300
90%--$285
80%--$255
70%--$235
60%--$210

Were there perhaps a few w/ Mannlicher stocks only for overseas, or the entire run was the same? Would be very intrested in Remingtons' answer to your inquiry.

Last edited:
Even today there many American sporting guns and lots of ammo sold overseas. I remember several years ago going into a sporting goods store in Stuttgart and seeing a large green and gold banner across the back: "Die Beste Randfeuer Patronen - Remington."

Jim

Just an update. I'm still waiting for word back from Remington, should be soon according to their receipt reply to my initial inquiry.

Just got an e-mail back from Remington. Very discouraging! They tell me that it's a 1968 serial number in the e-mail, and a 1980 serial number over the phone :confused: If it's a 1968 serial number then the B series serial numbers were produced BEFORE the A series serial numbers !! If it's a 1980 serial number then it was produced a year AFTER the production run ended!!! The e-mail also stated that it's possible that "it was an export model that would not have been cataloged". I was under the impression that every firearm that came out of a production facility had to be cataloged.

Oh well, I'm just going to take my sweet little 243 and go deer hunting. This collector/non-collector stuff is just too confusing for this old country boy! I just know what I like to shoot, and this one's fine.;)

Edit: Just took a relook at the Mohawk 600 History I/A/W Remington website. The Mohawk 600 wasn't introduced until 1972 and ran through 1979. I guess it's really rare if it's a 1968 or a 1980!!!

Last edited:
Mowhawk

That's the reason I said it was an aftermarker Stock, It wasn't catalogued, however I didn't have access to a European catalogue..JFC

I don't believe that it is aftermarket. My rifle has a Remington box and is labeled. "Full Stocked rifle" in German.

I can believe that they are perhaps a run made for export that didn't get cataloged.

Don't know if they still do so, but their custom shop used to make Mannlicher stocked rifles. I remember seeing a late 90s catalog that showed a listing for a Md 7 with one. for I believe $1300.

Back