Remington Model Seven CDL

warbirdlover

Can someone tell me why this rifle costs $998? It's as much as the equivalent Model 700 CDL. And try to find a Model Seven listed at Cabela's or Gander's websites. They make a couple other versions with synthetic stocks but if I buy any new rifles they're going to have wood. After replacing my paddle stock on my Ruger all-weather with a laminated wood stock I'm going back to the "old days" of "pretty" guns that still kill animals. They are so much nicer to look at.

Maybe I should look at the Browning X-Bolt micro "whatever" with the wood stock.

:)

Last edited:
Plus model 7s don't have any plastic parts , like the Browning . I just cant get by that plastic magazine . They might be fine in warm climates , but from my experience plastics and cold don't mix ! Back when the Savage Axis was called the Edge , that plastic latch would snap right off the mag when you slapped it into the gun if it was cold . I saw this happen twice , with my own eyes !

Remington makes basically 3 action lengths. A long action and short action 700. The 7 is basically the same gun with an even shorter action, but with the ejection port opened up. To do this they had to shorten the rear receiver bridge. Early 7's required a 1 piece base since they only drilled 1 hole on the rear receiver bridge. Newer guns have 2 holes, placed very close together. Just as there is no reason to charge different prices for a long action and short action, there is no reason to charge more or less for the 7. Assuming they are the same level of finish.

Well, it gets mighty cold up here some winters. I've "experienced" -40º F and if you've ever driven a car that's sat out in that all night you'll never forget it. Tires have flat spots and appear "square". Shocks, springs and "SEAT" springs don't move. It's like sitting on a cement block.

If we have a winter like that all the Axis, Americans etc are going to have lot's of broken plastic parts LOL!!

I've been looking at the Model 7's too, but was concerned about the barrel length. I know with the advances in cartridges, it shouldn't be a big deal. Are losses in velocity, if any, enough to matter for shots out to 250 yds?

J

The early 7's all came with 18.5" barrels and were great for close range brush hunting where a little velocity loss did not matter. All the new guns have 20"-22" barrels depending on caliber. 20" is a better compromise length in my mind and with most of those chamberings it is not enough to really matter. If you really want that 50 extra fps from a 2" longer barrrel one of the short action 700's may be a better choice.

BigJerm, some calibers are more sensitive to barrel loss than others. Fortunately for the Model 7, the .308 based calibers tend to handl that loss pretty well. Both 7mm-08 and .260 do quite well with 18.5 to 20 inch barrels. My 18.5" .260 is easily a 300 yd+ gun.

Thanks for the info guys! This is GREAT news since the 7mm-08 was what I was looking at in this gun. My top two are the Model 7 or 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem (stainless/laminated model). I thought either would be great for long hikes in the Sierras or some other forest here in Cali. Either round will take anything in this state, so I'm good!

J

Unless you are a hand loader I'd advise skipping the .280. You really don't gain that much from the longer cartridge even in a long-barreled gun (about 140fps at the muzzle). In a short-barreled gun you'll find that the velocity is about even because the .280 doesn't handle barrel loss as well as the short-action calibers.

The biggest downfall of the .280 is ammo availabilty. 7mm-08 is pretty common in any decent sized sporting goods store whereas .280 is probably going to require mail-order.

I have the 700 CDL 25.06 and my daughter has the Model 7 CDL .260 and cosmetically her model 7 looks identical to my 700 only shorter. There is a difference in the price of those two guns around here. I paid $725 plus tax for her model 7 about 2yrs ago and around $900 plus tax for my 700 last year. I don't know why the price difference unless it was for the extra 4 inches of barrel, long action vs short action or the fact that remington no longer chambers the 700 cdl in 25.06. Both are nice rifles.

Roger that on the ammo availability of the 280 and weight difference in the Mountain Rifle, but I've been pining over that specific model/caliber for quite some time. I've counted on having to stock up on web-ordered factory ammo, 'cause I don't reload. I'd probably do the same for the 7mm-08 as well. That's not so easy to find in the local shops either. I really dig both rifles so, it's a toss-up!

Back