• Misfired more than once

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Never Misfired - Performs Excellent

Votes: 39 90.7%
  • Never Misfired - Performs Okay

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had a Model 700 - 7mm for about 20 years. I watched some of the NBC news report last night. I have never heard this, and find it hard to believe. I personally believe most cases are human error. What do you think?

IMO the 700's have some engineering problems with there trigger/safety assembly I think this to be true.I too have used a 700 BDL for 25 years with no problem.But I also believe that there is a good number of 700's that are lemons just MO.:eek:

I have an older 700BDL as well as a much newer 700P.

I have done nothing to the older rifle and had a trigger job done on the new rifle.

It seems the triggers on some of the newer rifles have been built to be lawyer proof.

If you do not know what you are doing, have a gunsmith either adjust your trigger or put a new one in your rifle. Seems to take care of trigger issues and mine shoot great.

Geetarman:D

I have had 3 R700s (a BDL from '76 (.30-06 Sprg), an SPS SS from 2008 and an XHR from 2010) over the past 34 years. All have worked perfectly, looked well and, most importantly, shot safely into < 1" at 100 yds with factory ammo. I've gotten 0.6" with handloads out of my SPS SS (.308 Win) and will be testing some new loads in my XHR (.25-06 Rem).

FH

Flatbush,

I would really be interested in your 25.06 load development. I have a Ruger 77V that has never been able to shoot 90 gr. bullets worth a hoot. Heavier bullets like 117-120 gr. work just fine.

I had 40 or so 90gr SMK that I found left over and tried the Sierra manual accuracy load of 53 gr. IMR 4831 hoping for some decent groups but did not get them.

Please keep us (me) updated on how you do.

Geetarman:D

Will do. I'm starting with IMR4831 and Barnes 100gr TSX and Sierra GameKing 100gr. Stay tuned.

FH

PS-I got a 5/8" 3-shot group with Hornady Custom 117 Interlock factory loads last week. Previous, the best I get with factory ammo was 1" w/ Win Supreme 115gr Silvertips. My goal w/ handloads is 1 ragged hole.:D

FH

The story is old news. The problem is real, but quite rare. Under the right conditions any Remington bolt action built prior to 2007 could fire without pulling the trigger when the safety is moved to the "FIRE" position.

There have been several other news programs that have done stories on the problem over the years. Remington redesigned the bolts on their rifles in 1982 to make it possible to open the bolt with the safety in the "SAFE" position. They have been advertising in gun and hunting magazines for nearly 30 years trying to get shooters to return their older rifles to have them modified. I am amazed that so many hunters claim to have never heard of the problem.

Changing the bolt does not address the problem. It was only addressed when Remington changed to a newer designed trigger in 2007.

Between my Dad and I, we've been shooting various 700's for about 15 years and neither of us have ever had any problem whatsoever.
The only documented case I personally know of on a 700 going off by itself came from our Marksman Observer School put on by my LEA. In the 2006 class there was a rifle that discharged on the firing line right by itself. All shooters were off of the line, and no one was within 10 ft of the rifle in question when it fired, and there are plenty of witnesses to attest to that fact.

I have even been lucky enough to have not one but two 700's (a PSS and an SPS Tactical) that would readily outshoot the Savage that I used to own.

Back