Remington Model 700 Light Tactical Rifle

Gordon

Inactive
I purchased a Remington Model 700 Light Tactical rifle in .308 caliber. It looks siminar to the Police Tactical rifle, has an HS Precision stock wiht the aluminum bedding block, matte black finish. However the barrel is 20" lg instead of 26" and has flutes similar to the stainless varmit barrels. All in all a fine looking rifle, and weighs 7 3/4 lbs without scope. My understanding is that Remington made an initial run of 100 of these rifles and will make more as demand exists. What I wanted to pass on is that this is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever personally shot. I went to Wal-Mart on the way to the range and bought 5 boxes of 150 grain Remington loaded ammunition in order to break in the rifle and to get some brass to be able to reload.
I mounted a Simmons Presidential 6.5 to 20 scope on it temporarily until I can save the money to purchase a scope specifically for this rifle. At the range I fired the first box of ammunition to sight in the scope and to get familiar with the rifle. I then started firing some groups to see how well the gun was shooting from the bench. At 100 yards I cleaned the rifle after every 5 shots and then shot 2 rounds to clear the bore and then 3 shot groups for record. The first three shot group measured just under 1/2", the second was 13/16", and the third was also just under 1/2". Since it was getting late, I only fired one group at 200 yards. It was 3/4". This was using off the shelf hunting ammunition.
Subsequently I have shot about 350 rounds through the rifle and have had superb luck with it. The rifle has a preference for 168 grain boattail match bullets and Reloader 15 powder. I do not even shoot at 100 yards any more as the rifle is so accurate, it is a waste of powder. My smallest group to date is a 3/8" five shot group at 200 yards. I truthfully had no idea that I could shoot so well.
My hat is off to Remington, and I would recommend that anyone who can locate one should buy it.

I've seen the prototype when I was at the factory last year and finally got to shoot a model this year at a trade show.

It is typical Remington. Straight shooting from out of the box. I'd like to get one but I just bought a 700 varminter in .223. Mounted a Leupold 3.5x10 with Warne base and rings. Fiddle faddle farted about with PMC non-match ammo and got 1/2" center to center groups at 100 yards. I agree, you can't beat Remington for accuracy for a non-custom firearm.

Funny thing is that Remington admits to being behind the Russians in the 5R twist. They're still toying with it and don't have all the research and data the Russians have.

The Remington is one of the best out there, if not the best. Are not all rifles TACTICAL? Anyways... Your shooting better than 1/2 MOA. What more can one want?

I have a 700 VS in .308 that I also think is the cat's meow. I had its barrel cut down to 22".

One caution about the aluminum bedding. The trigger guard screws ride in sleeves that are glued into the bedding. The seal can break, as mine did. Consequently, I had my rifle glass bedded, and no more worries. A friend of mine had her 700 glass bedded just as a precaution. My gunsmith said that this is not unusual for the 700 design. He has done the same work for at least one local PD.

------------------
Joe

If you are a member of "NTOA" (National Tactical Officers Assoc.), or have access to the NTOA's quarterly periodical "The Tactical Edge", there is a review of the Remington 700 Tactical in the Fall 98 issue. The reviewer was getting .75 MOA from the rifle. IMHO- Other 20" rifles to take a look at are the Steyr SSG PIIK, or the Steyr SBS 20"
-Rodmann

I've looked everywhere for a Steyr Prohunter in .308 with the 20" barrel. Can anyone put me on to one? Thanks in advance.

Did a search on Dogpile.Www.impactguns.com had one on their list (August price $699) but had written in the ad that they had more coming.

Rem 700 VS..I have 3 of them...223,243,308.. Remington has done good by me....

?? I'm looking for a Varmit barrel for my 300 Win Mag Rem 700 type..
Can you guess that I like the Rem 700VS.

Gordon,

I've had my 700VS in 308 Win with a 26" tube since '95. It sports a Shilen trigger, benchrest single shot converter and a Leupold 4.5-14X tactical scope. Although the freebore was 0.090" greater than SAMMI maximum, which won't facilitate placing the bullet at or just off the lands, my 168 and 175 match loads are routinely under 1/2 MOA with many groups in the 2s and 3s.

I too wanted another 308 but with a shorter tube so when I spotted a Savage 10FP in 308 with a 20" tube I jumped on it. Picked up a Sightron 4-16X Mil-Dot scope which also looks to be a bargain. Haven't shot the rig yet (weather here in South Dakota sucks right now), having only run JB through the barrel as a first stage prep. Talked to Joe Fazio of KG Products (KalGuard) and ordered their moly barrel prep and bullet coating products. Intend to shoot nothing but moly in this rig. Every Savage 110FP I've ever come across was a better than 1/2 MOA shooter, so I have high hopes for my short tubed 10FP. I certaibly can't complain about the total cost of this new setup.

4V50:

Several folks I know swear by Mike Rock's 5R Obermeyer twist barrels. He's the one who supplies Armament Technology who has had some past M24 sniper rifle contracts from Uncle. It's what I'm looking at long term for my 308s.

-=[Bob]=-
Rapid City, SD

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 01-02-99).]

Back