Remington Model 700 ADL in 30-06

Dogger

Am looking hard at this rifle for deer season. Most likely will fit it with a Leopold Vari-X II 3-9x40mm scope. Does anyone have this rifle in this caliber, or this particular set up? What factory load do you recommend for Eastern whitetails? What accuracy should I expect from this rifle? I only have access to a 100m range for sighting in. Thanks!

Dogger, sure isn't anything at all wrong with an ADL.

As with most any "off the shelf rifle", to get best accuracy you'll probably need to do a little work, like bedding the stock, get some trigger work done, etc.

A 30-06 with a standard barrel (ADL, BDL, M77, M70 or most any brand or model) should be able to hold at least an 1 1/2", 3 to 5 shot group at 100 yards when the wind is laid down, using quality ammo.

For Deer I sure like the Federal Premiun 165gr GameKing load. My Vanguard shoots 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with this load. Also that GameKing bullet really performs on Deer. For heavier game I move up the the Federal Premium with 180gr Nosler Partitions. The group does open up with these heavier bullets, but is still under 1 1/2".

You can't beat your scope choice of Leupold VXII 3x9 "for the money", of course this is just MHO.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your 30-06 ADL. Calibers & rifles don't hang around as many years as these have unless they perform. k

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dogger:
Am looking hard at this rifle for deer season. Most likely will fit it with a Leopold Vari-X II 3x9-40mm scope. Does anyone have this rifle in this caliber, or this particular set up? What factory load do you recommend for Eastern whitetails? What accuracy should I expect from this rifle? I only have access to a 100m range for sighting in. Thanks![/quote]

I have the 700 ADL Synthetic in .30-06 with a Leupold one piece mount and rings (matte) with a Simmons Whitetail 3x9-40mm and a Timney trigger with this set up I'm getting about 1.5-1.75" groups off a bench at 100yds using Remington Core-Lokt 165gr, I want to try the 150gr Hornady Light Magnums this year though. I've heard some say that these really aren't any more accurate than standard ammo but they have more power.
Robb

My friend has this same rifle but with a cheap Tasco scope and a Weaver 2-pc mount and shot a deer last year about 80yds away with a 165gr Core-Lokt and it ran about 15 feet and stopped (penetrated both lungs and exited the body leaving about a 2.5"-3.0" exit wound).

My Model 700 in .30-'06 will shoot into one minute all day, given good ammo. And it has the wood stock.

Jim

Dogger
I have the 700 BDL in 30-06 with a Leopold Vari-X II 3-9x40mm scope.
I bought the rifle in 1971 and the scope in
1995. Great combination.

You wont be disappointed. Happy shooting. :)

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."

Thanks for the posts, I am really looking forward to this. I imagine my shoulder is in for quite a jolt from this cartridge. I think I will start out with the 150 grain factory loads from Remington and Federal.

You've just named my first rifle and the scope which graces it. It shoots nickel size groups with factory ammo. My mounts are Redfield one piece Jr. and rings. While my rifle is the BDL model, the unspoken advantage of the ADL is in the winter, you've got no metal floorplate to draw heat from your hands. Congratulations on a good choice.

Dogger, as for recoil, I suggest you spend a few bucks and have a good gunsmith put a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on your rifle. You won't be sorry, and you can concentrate on accuracy rather than recoil.

J.B.

Dogger, I agree with Jay Baker about getting something to soak up the recoil if you are in any way sensitive to it. Although you may not want to go this far, I had a muzzle brake put on my '06 in addition to an internal-spring recoil pad and it has made a world of difference for me. Now I can't wait to get back out to the range and practice, but I guess I'll have to 'cause my wife has had me so busy this week that I haven't had the time to go, or even make any reloads.

But next weekend is (mostly) MINE.
DAL

P.S. What is the difference between the ADL and the BDL?

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NR

[This message has been edited by DAL (edited May 16, 2000).]

The ADL doesn't have a magazine floorplate which allows you to drop all the cartridges out from the bottom of the stock. It also lacks the fancy black foreend tip and spacers of the BDL. Big deal.

Dogger, I have the 700 ADL Synthetic with a Leupold 3x9x50 Var II and Leupold mounts on it now (started with a cheaper scope). Mine shoots 1-1/4" 150gr Remington and 1" with the 178gr extended range Remington. It does have recoil, but i never notice it when hunting, so when target shooting i place a pad next to my shoulder. Plus with the eye relif of the Leupold,even if you wear glasses you don't have to worry about it hitting your eye. Also i adjusted the trigger to a 4lb pull it help with my groups alot and i remove the recoil pad and the foam pad inside and fill the stock with Great Foam brand foam to deading the sound of the stock. When i purchase this rifle i wanted one that i wasen't worry about dropping,straches or the weather and a all around caliber and the 30-06. fit my bill, you can by factory loads from 125gr-to-200gr about anywhere and reload more.
My .02$

Adjusting the Rem's trigger is the first step towards accurate shooting. I posted detailed instructions on Glocktalk, under "gunsmithing", if anybody's interested.

Back