Remington Model 7

Tom B

I am pretty new to rifles as I don't hunt but enjoy shooting and that is why I am asking so many questions on this forum of late. Today I traded for two additional rifles and would like to get opinions on them. The first is a used Marlin Mod 336 in 30/30. It is a 1970 vintage 100th anaver. addition. The second is a new Remington Model 7 in cal 260 Rem. I am not familiar with this round at all. Thanks for any info.

TomB, I personally don't have a 260 Rem M7
but I have a good friend that has one and he
loves it. He loads his own ammo and uses
ballistic tip bullets, can't remember what
weight (140?). He has taken several deer with
this round mostly neck shots and a few body
shots and the deer drop in their tracks.
Another thing he likes about the rifle is the
weight. Hopes this helps from what I have heard this is a good caliber to shoot and you
did good. I have Marlin 336 30-30 and have harvested several deer with it. This is a good round also, 150 gr bullet out 100 to 150
yds is good. After 150 yds 30-30 begins to
loose its punch. Good hunting.

You have the best light rifle made IMHO. After lots of research I bought a Model 7 in .260. It is a great all around rifle. It is a little light for elk or griz but more than adequate for everything else in North America.
I just went to Cooper's Rifle Class and the rifle worked great.
I have a Leopold 1-4x and I handload Nosler 120gr BT over IMR 4350 for less than one inch groups.
Add a Ching Sling and it is the only gun you will need.
T-Bone

Hi, Tom,

Both are fine rifles. I have no experience with the Model 7 in .260, but it is one beauty of a gun in .308. The Marlin is an old standby and a very reliable and accurate gun. I prefer the .30-30 to the .35 Remington because of some problems with the latter.

Jim

Seeing you don't hunt..and there are so many rifles to enjoy shooting and tinkering with..I thought you might give me the #7 in that weird 260 caliber.

I have thought about purchasing a Remington Model 7 for a number of years now -- but in 7mm-08 Remington. Is there a hill of beans of difference between the .260 Remington and the 7mm-08?

Dogger, I would say yes, there's quite a bit of difference. The 7mm-08 would have a much wider range of bullet weights to select from, esp. on the heavier end (up to 175gr or so), because it is two "sizes" up from 260 (.277 being the in-between) in diameter, IINM.

Futo Inu, thanks, yes I agree with you. When I initially phrased my question I was thinking primarily about muzzle velocity and muzzle energy between similar bullets; but the 7mm-08 can take the heavier bullet. And... I do like the option for a heavier bullet. :) I guess for guys like me who only hunt whitetails, and don't reload, either chambering would be more than adequate in standard factory loads.

Back