Remington Model 597

sleepy

Inactive
I want to purchase a relatively inexpensive, quality 22 semi-auto plinkin' rifle. Based on what seems to be a widely known good reputation, I had decided to buy a Ruger 10/22. Well, I went to a store and held one in my hands and it felt kind of awkward. However, a Remington 597 felt just right. Before I buy, how is the 597 when it comes to accuracy, reliability, and quality? Incidentally, Remington is offering a $20 rebate on these through the end of the year. Thanks - Sleepy

I am looking for a .22 myself. Here are some reviews that I found on the 597: Gun Tests 6/99, American Rifleman 4/98, Guns & Ammo 7/98.

Gun Tests compared the 597 (polymer stock) and the 597 Sporter (wood stock) to the 10/22 RB (wood stock) and 10/22 RP (polymer stock). Despite offering desirable features that the 10/22s lacked -- grooved receiver, convenient magazine release, better feel to the stock -- Gun Tests picked the 10/22 over the 597, largely, I think, because both Remingtons had failures to feed when the clips were fully loaded, and malfunctions with Lapua Dominator and Federal Ultramatch ammunition. Groups were close, with a slight edge to the Ruger.

The review in American Rifleman mentioned that the 597 were "susceptible to rim-over-rim jams unless close attention was given to the magazine while loading....Loading the magazine is a little awkward as it must be done with consideration for the .22LR cartridge rims." (The Remington manual shows how to load the magazine to avoid failures to feed.)

On the other hand, the 597 that Guns & Ammo tested functioned flawlessly.

I hope this helps.

By the way, don't overlook the Marlin 7000: It is close to the Ruger 10/22T in accuracy at about one-half the retail price (Guns & Ammo 10/99).

I have a 597 in .22 lr. I really like it. After a little break in, I can get this thing to fire everthing. I use moly grease on the rails and it operates as smooth as glass. Trigger is a little heavy. It has some features the 10/22 doesn't have like a bolt slam buffer,and last round hold open.(I don't think my 10/22 had that) It is a lot quieter than my 10/22 as far as the action is concerned. My 10/22 was a 1975 vintage, though, and was a great rifle. The 597 is accurate with a variety of rounds from Federal and Remington bulk pack cheapos to the Quik Shok (my favorite .22) and all the target rounds I have tried. I am really pleased. I have mine topped off with a 39.95 BSA 3-9 scope and have a maximum of 165.00 in the whole deal. Great ground hog getter. My first kill of the year was a g'hog at about 55 yds using the Quik Shok. He was anchored with the first shot. I of course pumped more in him just in case(lol). Verry pleased with this package.

I have a 597 in .22 magnum which I bought about a month ago. Its true you have to becareful if you load the clip to capacity but if you just leave one round out it is ok. Ive only fired 200 rounds through it so far it performed very well. I dont think you will go wrong with a remington or a ruger. btw my dad has owned a 10/22 for I dont know how many years and has never cleaned it other than the bore and it has been 100% reliable. When I was a teenager I shot thousands of rounds through it without a hitch. The ruger or the remington would be a good choice.

I have them both, and it seems the Ruger has a tendency of getting lonely once in awhile because of being left in the safe :-). The accuracy I got out of the highly recommended 10/22 was less than marginal. As far as the 597 goes, yes, there has been a few misfeeds, but the accuracy is fantastic if you find what brand bullet it likes best.
BB
NRA/GOA

I bought a 597LSS last year. Love it! Accuracy is much better than the standard 10/22. I bought my son 10/22 a few years ago and wanted a .22lr myself. The standard stock on 10/22's was too small for me. I picked up a 597 and it just felt right. The barrel is a better quality and the stock fits larger frame nicely. Have had only a few jams due to magazine being dirty. A little wiping out crud and good for another 500 rounds. You do have to be carefull when loading the magazine to make sure it's right, but no buggy after you do it a few times. Either Ruger or 597 would serve you well, but I sure like the new 597.
Good luck, Mountain Boy

Thanks to all for the advise. I went with the 597 - took it to the range yesterday and had a great time. Out of 120 rounds, no jams, two light strikes. Actually, the ammo may to blame, had the same problem in my Ruger 22/45. I think this little rifle will serve me well for a very long time.

Back