Remington model 58 project

TINCANBANDIT

new project

my Father-in-Law picked it up at a yard sale for $40 for me.

It is a Remington model 58 12 gauge semi-auto, made in 1956, the walnut looks pretty good but the metal has pink rust spots.

anyway, here is what it looked like when he brought it to me:

98nSN1vl.jpg

ur8lksNl.jpg

yvJizsgl.jpg

HoTzkYil.jpg

ZYa8A3ul.jpg

gZGDNPal.jpg

On the trigger guard, you can coat that with a bake on flat black, and get a good look, or if you are set up to do plating, you can anodize it easily using RIT dye. I mix my own color, but they have one pre-mixed too, that is black with just a shot of blue, which will match the factory anodizing closely. This is a much easier process that it looks. If you ever do play with anodizing, I would strongly recommend buying a sealer to boil the part in after dying.

The triggers can be pen plated. I copper plate first, then gold over that on steel triggers.

Anyhow, Caswell has most all the supplies, and a few others. They also have some good pdf's on both anodizing and pen plating.

If you know any paint ballers, there is a good side business in re-coloring those, even doing the multi-colors using masking. Multi-coloring's a pain in the rear, though. For guns, you don't need a huge tank or anything, and can use a small plastic insulated cooler. You need something that can hold a shotgun receiver, which is about the largest part you'll do, unless it's an aluminum barrel. I've never done barrels, as I only do receivers, revolver frames, and trigger guards, etc. You won't need a big setup like Caswell has, using 5 gallon buckets, nor all the whistles and bells. The main thing is a good adjustable 12 volt power supply, that has a current and voltage adjustment on it, and a battery acid supplier, and a hot plate for the dye and sealer.

Charter Arms has the most coloring I've seen for women's revolvers. High Standard did it, similarly, a long time ago on the old Sentinel .22 revolvers, or at least they did for a short while.

Back