Remington model 51 .380 pistol : breechblock

DDS

I was given this pistol in excellent condition by a friend of mine. Upon shooting several boxes of .380 "hardball" through the gun,the gun locked up and upon inspection the breechblock was found to be cracked.
I was very lucky to find a replacement at a recent gun show in a vendors "junk box".
Once again, upon firing, the breech block cracked! Does anyone have any ideas or source for a new breechblock? The gun has a very interesting history and has one of the most comfortable grips I have ever handled. It is said that General Patton carried one in dress uniform on occassion. Any help would be great. Thanks!

DDS

Hi, DDS,

Please forget about shooting that 51 Remington. They are fine collectors items and mechanically interesting, but were not very durable even in the old days before our new hotter .380 loads. Parts are very scarce and it is not likely that anyone will be eager to repro that complex breechblock.

The designer was Pedersen, of Pedersen Device fame, who worked for Remington and designed many of their shotguns and rifles. He wasn't a bad designer, but was fated to always be a step behind Browning and had to work around the great John B.'s patents.

Jim

George and Jim:
Thank you for the information/advice, I'll take it to heart.

Regards,

DDS

Back