Remington Model 37 and Unertl Scope

ONewman

I just purchased a rifle from an estate sale and would appreciate any info anyone can give. The rifle is marked Remington Rangemaster Model 37 and has ser #11095. It appears to have a heavy barrel and thumbhole (custom?) stock. More interesting to me is the scope. The scope is marked J.Unertl 35003 and has 20 marked on top on the scope. the scope is at least 18" long and the only adjustments are provided by the mounts. Any info at all would be appreciated. Not interested in selling, just bought it because I liked it and want to know more about it. Thanks.

The Remington sounds familiar. I did a custom T-hole some years back. Was the estate in GA?

The Unertle scope was used, if my memory serves, on the XM21 sniper system used by the Army in the late 60's-70's?

HJN

The estate was in Florida. The wood is faily light in color and came with 2 aluminum shoulder braces (?) that mount to an aluminum piece mounted on the but of the weapon. I could send a picture if you feel it would help. I mainly purchased it because I spent a fair amount of time in the Marine Corps and knew that they used Unertl scopes. Thanks for any help you can give.

Unertle Scope

Newman, Your Unertl Scope was made in the little town of "Mars" which is near Pittsburg, Pa. John J. Unertl started this company and his wife now runs it since his death. This is the only place where these scopes are made and it takes over a year to order one new.
I have had about six of these scopes over the years and just love them. I only have two left. If you ever want to sell your Unertl, I would like to buy it.
Sgt Carlos Hathaway (Highly Decorated Marine Sniper) used one of these scopes on his Winchester model 70 during his first tour of duty in Viet Nam. I think his book was Kill from A far.

The Remington Model 37 was their top-notch smallbore target rifle from 1937 til 1954, then replaced by the 40X.
There should be two or three letters on the left side of the barrel right in front of the action that code the production date.
The thumbhole stock is an aftermarket replacement by a target shooter, Remington didn't make thumbhole stocks.
The aluminum "braces" are adjustable buttplates for use in different shooting positions; prone, sitting, kneeling, standing.

The outside adjustment Unertl target scope is a wonderful piece of glass. Yours is a 20 power, exact model depends on the diameter of the objective lens.

Love Unertl scopes...

The Remington 37 is the tackdriver of it's day - along with the Winchester 52's. :)
Got a Unertl 24X mounted on my 52C and a 10X Varmint scope on my heavy barrel Martini Cadet .22Hornet. :p

Model 37 Prohawk

I recently purchased a Model 37 Rangemaster with a custom Thumbhole stock,custom trigger and Parker Hale peep sights. It is set up as a single shot
rifle.
I added a Mo's front globe with the Champions Choice clear disks to it.

Mine also has the Aluminum butt plate with the fold down pit rest (as we call them.

It has the original barrel and shoots like a house on fire.

I want to put a Ghemann adjustable diopiter on it but I am having trouble finding the adapter to put it on the Parker Hale peep sight.
I also have the base to install the Redfield International,Olimpic,or Palma sights which I have on it.
I really like the Parker-Hale sights as you can zero the rifle at 25 and 50 yards and use the scale to put it on at 75,100,150,200, and that is as far as I have shot it.
I wouldn't dought that the 300 yard setting will probably work too.

I am shooting PMC standard velocity ammo through it and it is doing super.

I have tried other SV Match ammo through it and only Eley Standard compares with it.
The rest shoots the same through it. 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with no wind conditions.

What a scope you've come across, Remington mass produces their guns but that glass is made in limited numbers... someone mentioned that Hathcock used one, thats where i ready of them first... he was the best Marine sniper during vietnam, used a non adjustable 8x Uteral on his model 70 win. got a kill at 1200 yards with a .50 ( recently snaged a winchester70 pre '64 action myself, largly 'cause what he could do with one)... I highly recomend you read the book, was an absolutely great read, stayed up late night reading it... cant put it down and its all true!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...f=pd_bbs_1/104-5944121-7622345?_encoding=UTF8

Most shooters thought the Winchester 52 was the best target rifle but I was always partial to the Remington Model 37 in part because the stock fit me better. AFAIK, there was no difference in accuracy. That Model 37 with a Unertl 20x scope was (and still is) a top quality target combination and in the right hands will still win matches.

Jim

Prohawk

Sgt. Carlos Hathcock was a decorated Marine Sniper and a shooting instructor at camp Perry,Ohio after he was wounded and came back from Nam.

I had the honor of shooting beside him in the Wimbleton 1000 yard matches back in the 60's.
He won the Wimbleton in a very strong wind. He was awesome at doping wind.
The called him La-Trang (white feather) and had a bounty on him over there.

The book is "Marine Sniper" all about Carlos and his exploits in Nam.

Some movies have been made using some of his tactics and the one called Sniper I believe with Tom Berringer shooting through another snipers scope across a valley.
Very good book about the life of Carlos.

Back