Remington Model 1917

USMC EOD

I have a Model 1917 that I have acquired, that is a little different than most. The "ears" that are normally on either side of the rear sight have been milled off, and the rear sight has been replaced with a 1903A3 sight. When I bought it, I was told by the seller that they thought it may have been an arsenal rework done at the beginning of WW II. Is anyone aware of any history of this being done to any 1917s? Either way, I am anxious to take her out and see how she shoots.

pictures would definitely help but no, to my knowledge ears were never removed by arsenals. this was always done during sporterizing to aid in modifications like scope rails or rear sights. however I see no point at all in removing one aperture for another.

The seller was ignorant or lying to make the sale.
It sounds like a real kluge, I hope you did not pay a lot for it.

Or did you pay for it? I have a lot of trouble deciphering what people mean on the internet when they say they acquired, or recieved, or picked up etc, etc.
I get my guns by buying or trading for them and don't get cute about the process.

Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures. I paid a resonable price for it, at least I think so.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1917 with 03A3 Sights 1.jpg
    1917 with 03A3 Sights 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1917 with 03A3 Sights 2.jpg
    1917 with 03A3 Sights 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
yes I would say that was a gunsmith job, the recievers been blued/blacked to match the new sight. as long as you didn't go over $300 and those are the only mods to it I would say you did very good. it'll still shoot and probably quite nicely I would wager.

It looks like the 03A3 sight was brazed on.

It now has no collector value; it is a shooter and hunting rifle. I am not sure about the $300 value estimate, but IMHO that would be the high end.

Jim

USMC;
You have a US rifle of 1917. One of the strongest bolt actions rifle ever made.
In 30-06 it's magazine will hold 6 rounds. They are well known for accuracy and durability. These rifles are commonly re-chambered for magnum rounds.
Yours, being modified has little collector value but great value as a shooter.
One suggestion is to get yourself a spare ejector. The ejector springs are easily broken. ( http://www.sarcoinc.com/enfield1917-p14.html )
These rifles are commonly re-chambered for magnum rounds and sporterized, or at least they were 50 years ago. You have a fine strong rifle and you did not pay too much.

Roger

Back