remington model 11 question

dnsharpshooter

just picked up a Remington Model 11 12 gauge from a gun store. serial number shows it is probably a 1908 or 1909, so i guess its not a Model 11 but a Remington Autoloading Shotgun.

it was really dirty, but i got it cleaned up and it looks like it will be a good shooter. only strange thing i noticed was that it will only hold 3 shells (1 in chamber and 2 in the mag tube), but i do not believe its a sportman model because of its age and it doesnt have any kind of engraving on the receiver. someone maybe put a sportsman mag tube or? any ideas?

If it's ever been used for hunting it may have a plug in the mag tube that limits the mag to two with one in the chamber. This is required in many jurisdictions.

How do i check for this plug and if there is one, how do i remove it? Appreciate the help, this is my first "real" shotgun and im still learning alot. I used to have a cheapo 20 gauge single shot but obviously thats alot simpler than this one. Thanks

EDIT: make sure the gun is empty!!!!

Lock the bolt in the open position. Remove the cap just in front of the fore arm grip. The barrel and forearm grip will slide forward and off. Under the removed cap there will be a retainer that can be carefully "pried out". A long spring will fly out, dont worry it goes in easy. There will be a wooden dowel at the end of that spring, remove it and re-install everything

Go to www.remington.com and get an owner's manual. Numrich also has a decent schematic online.
Taking apart a Model 11, or Remington Autoloading Shotgun, is a whole lot more complicated than an 1100. The recoil spring assembly is on the outside of the magazine tube, and it must be installed correctly for the gun to work, and it is all held together by the fore end cap.
Good luck.

+1 on getting an Operators Manual for your shotgun. There are specific orders in which the spring and compression rings and bevel ring should be put on for high power loads and another order of those parts for mild loads. Buying the shotgun off the rack leaves you with no guarantee it is assembled even remotely correct.

hey guys, wanted to check back in for an update and another question in a little bit. but first off i took the shotgun out this weekend and ran about 150 rounds through it. used mostly remington gun club target loads, #8 shot. all those cycled fine with the friction ring on the heavy load setting. also has some winchester xtra lite and light target loads as well, the xtra lites worked fine on the light load setting, but the light target loads didnt like to extract for some reason :confused:
oh well, the remington shells are a little cheaper anyways :p

now my question, the stock on this gun so in pretty sad shape. it fits very loosely, and has a few cracks showing. id like to replace it with a synthetic stock. does anybody make one for this gun? ive seen them for the A5 but i think the curvature of the tang is different on those. if anyone can point me in the right direction id appreciate it

Back