Remington M788 questions

Ron L

A friend recently picked up a Remington M788 chambered in 308 at a gun show. He's asked me to pose a couple of questions to this forum.

First, he was wondering if he got a good deal. The rifle came with a 3x9 Burris scope, 2 mags, and a sling. He paid $275 for the rifle. He said it has a nerf on the barrel the needs some cleaning and maybe a touch-up with some bluing. (I recently checked the latest Gun List and they had a few listed at around $100 more than he paid.) Was this a good deal?

Second, he was going to clean the rifle and can't seem to get the bolt out. Since I can't see it, I'm not able to try and figure out how to release the bolt. Any suggestions?

Finally, at the show, he picked up some 150gr. ammo and some 180gr. ammo. From what he was saying, the 150's were new/surplus stuff, but the 180's were reloads. The 150's chambered fine, but the 180's wouldn't allow the bolt to fully close. Is it possible that the crimp on the 180 reloads aren't tight enough to allow the bullet to fully seat in the chamber? That was my guess since the 150's cycled fine. The overall bullet length seems the same, but again, I haven't mic'd them yet.

I realize that it's difficult to give concrete answers without firsthand knowledge, it's the same for me but I couldn't think of a better place to start asking on his behalf. (If I could at least get him into the 20th century, he could get on-line and ask for himself. :))

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Society

Ahhh ha, I love those 788's. First of all, open the bolt and slide it all the way back. Then push the saftey button forward and hold. It will be spring loaded. then you should be able to slide the bolt out. I have one in .243, want a .308 also, so if you want I'll pay your buddy exactly what he paid for the setup. I grew shooting these things, and would really like to get one in .308. My 700P is great, but the 788 is just wayyyy to good shootin to pass up. BTW I think you got an excellent deal, that is if the bore isn't rusted and shot out. Also check the 9 locking lugs on the bolt, to see if they are all contacting.

Cheers.

------------------
G21, the only one.
1911 A1 another one.
AR15 the long one.

Yep, what Darknight said. If the barrel is in good shape, that is a super good deal.

The 788 was the sleeper of the industry in its day. Not a pretty rifle but very accurate and strong like buull.

My bid is what he paid + $30.

The chamber on the 788 shouldn't be real tight so the 180 gr reloads are probably to blame. Could be brass that wasn't resized properly but more than likely it's the bullet seating depth on the 180's.

Lots of people use the standard OAL listed for the cartridge as the measure for reloads. The standard OAL has more to do with available magazine space than proper seating depth for various bullets. The ogive (curved shape at the front) of the bullet has EVERYTHING to do with proper seating depth. A round nose profile bullet usually has to be seated deeper than a pointed profile to keep the bullet nose from engaging the rifling. To check it, paint the bullet with a magic marker and try to chamber it. Then pull it out and look for marks where the rifling touched the bullet.

If I had to guess, I would say the reloads are hitting the rifling before the bolt closes. The second choice would be a poorly resized case with the shoulder too far forward.

Mikey

I have a 788 in 222 Rem. and absolutly love that gun :).Took it to Wyoming for some prairie dog shooting this past summer. I paid 350.00 with no scope 4 years ago...won't sell it now. It wears a Leopold 4 to 12 now, but it getting a new scope soon.

Back