Remington LTR 308 1-12 Twist 20 inch barrel Advice on Subsonic Bullet

1979brj

Inactive
Remington LTR 308 1-12 Twist 20 inch barrel Advice on Subsonic Bullet

(1) I loaded some 165 sierras hpbt (2140) with 9.4gr trail boss average vel. was 1020 fps (fun to shoot). At 10 yards every round (20 total) was nice little holes no keyholeing.. at 50 yards every round (5 total )keyholed.. Question: would you use these through "your" suppressor since they are stable a 10 yards. the keyholeing is ok, because they are sill accurate @ 50 yards just not perfect little holes. I have about 300 bullets and would like to use them up...
(2) Now looking for a better subsonic bullet to keep to form keyholeing. like a round nose flat base type, or what every you all recomend.
Have any of you got a 1-12 twist, and shoot subsonic? if so what type of bullet do you like and what grain? using a 1-12 twist.

I wish i had a 1-10 or faster but i dont.. so my new suppressor should be here in a month or two, just trying to work out some loads while waiting.

I have been researching and reading for weeks now, would really like to hear form First hand experence with subsonic 308 using 1-12 twist, and results - good or bad.

Thanks in advance for any help.. and thanks for reading.

You are trying too heavy a bullet for that slow twist barrel. Drop down to 150gr bullet and your stability will be fine.

I shoot the 150gr Berrys plated flat point designed for 30 30 lever action guns.

Thanks for the reply.. Will order some of those today and give it a try.. will post results after this weekend..

thanks again..

Similar problem. I bought some .22 sub sonic loads 900 something FPS. These still had a lot of energy since it was a 60gr bullet. These key holed at 10ft. I am now thinking of trying it in an AR with a conversion kit since the twist in an AR is designed for bullets around this weight.

As to the conversion.. been down that road.. I have a 22 suppressor also
I purchased a cmmg unit for my mp-15 I think it is a 1-9 twist. Anyway my rifle loved the 60 gr ammo. No keyholeing @ 25 yards. Since the thread is 1/28 on my AR " with the cmmg kit installed" put the suppressor on. I have shot about 200 rounds with it and no issues and very fun and cheap to shoot.. I have had good luck with the cmmg conversion ..

Back