Remington Keene carbine

CW-op

I've run onto a Remington Keene carbine cal. 45-70. Rare I think because of the 20 inch barrel. Can anybody give me some info, or point me in a direction where I might get some dope on it?

The possibility of a custom made carbine exists, but 20" was not a standard length, and I suspect yours has been cut down. The Army bought only a few, but the Navy purchased 250 for testing. The U.S. Interior Department bought several hundred for arming Indian police; those have U.S.I.D. markings.

The military marked guns are most valuable, but any collector value will have been considerably reduced by the barrel being shortened. .45-70 was the most common caliber but a few were made in .43 (Mauser) and .40, possibly the .40-70 Remington.

A rare and highly desireable rifle. If yours is in good condition, it would be of interest to those studying rifles of that era, regardless of the barrel. I hesitate to guess a value, sight unseen.

Jim

Keene carbine,

It appears they did indeed make 20" carbines. I say that as I have aquired two of them one in 45-70 and one in .433 as marked on the receivers. It came in a collection of Keens to include one Navy, one Army, two sporting, one USID marked frontier and one standard frontier. They all came out of a 50+ year collection and have no appearence of being altered. Can get you some pics if you like.

Back