Remington gun club hulls

Lhigginsqrb

Are Remington gun club hulls Worth purchasing to reload? I’ve seen them sold online for $.10-$.15 a hull. I haven’t priced skeet shot here lately but I’m debating on just buying a case of it and going to the range with it to get some holes. My goal is to have a couple hundred of one type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remington gun club hulls are very good and easy to reload. Plenty of data available for them. With high prices of primers, lead shot, and wads I'd have to think cases of factory loaded Gun Clubs may be the best bargain? (if you can find them in stock}

Last edited:
Without purchasing the hull (i.e., having previously fired hulls), your cost per load approaches $7.50 for 25 rounds for a 12-Ga, 1-1/8oz load under the following circumstances:

ClayBusters Wads CB 1118-12 $10.49/500= 0.02
Primers @ $70/1000= 0.07
Red Dot @ $40/lb, 17.0gr/1-1/8oz shot= 0.097
Shot @ $40/25lb - 1-1/8oz = 0.112

Cost w/o hull = 0.299 (30 cents) x 25 = $7.50

If you pay $0.10 per hull, your cost for 25 rounds = $10 for the first 25, then $7.50 for every 25 until the hull wears out. Which could be 10 loads or more (I'm using the same hulls since 1976 but I have 1000.

Can you buy 12-Ga shotgun shells for less than $7.75 for 1-1/8 oz loads? If so, don't buy those hulls........

Do the math, no really do the math!

There are fewer reason$ to pull the handle now than there have been in past years.

Find the best pricing you can access on components available. cdoc42 did a nice job of that, and it's really the only thing, cost per round.

Factor in shipping of components, it's a significant cost.

Gun club hulls are the way to go, I have a few thousand and most all are experienced. Toss em when they are crispy.
Keep dry always for hulls, doubly so Gun Clubs, they rust.
I can run the Remington nitro hulls with zero changes on my MEC grabber. I load 1 or 11/8 oz. I use the Nitros for 1 1/8 for identification.

If you have not jumped in to shotgun reloading yet, might want to pause. It's not like other reloading esp. rifle. Similar to handgun, volume wise. Shotgun is very much "cookbook" style and pull the handle.

Metallic cartridge is much more interesting. I love busting clays and could save real money a few years ago. It's close to a push at best now getting components at great prices.
At least for me and other guys I shot with, pull the handle to save money, not for the reloading hobby or enjoyment.
Not to mention the reloading gear cost. Cost per round.

I bought 1k 8 months ago from Ballistic Products ( said in stock ) but they never shipped . I called about a month later and they said sorry when you ordered them they actually were not in stock . They said I can cancel the order or I will get them in the order they were sold . I then asked what number was I , I was told #3 .... cool I'll keep the order . Here we are 7 months later and nothing . I hope to tell you what I think of them some day .
k9Mqxo.jpg

EDIT

This thread prompted me to go check my order status on there web site . They canceled the order :confused: and did not even bother to notify me :mad: OMG I've been sitting here NOT ordering other hulls because I figured they will be coming any time... now that things have opened up and people are shooting again . Boy are they going to get an ear full tomorrow !!!

Last edited:
After reloading my 20 GA Win AA and Remington hulls for the last 20 years, at least, I broke down and ordered once-fired AA hulls from BillyD in Montana. They look good except the AA printed on the hull looks smudged. Bad news is the 8-fold crimp leaves a hole in the center just large enough for a #8 pellet to escape. So I fire up the candle I mentioned above and wax it.

I use a mini croc pot to melt the wax in. It gets just hot enough the keep thye wax liquid.
A small acid brush is used to apply the wax to the shell crimp.
Now the shells are "Sealed" , but when firing the wax melts and coats the chamber and barrel making cleaning easier.
The big plus is there is no chamber rust from dry chambers!!

As stated, several times; awesome hulls, BUT $0.08 is as high as i would pay. $0.05 is typical at big clubs, with lots of hulls to get rid of.

Buying hulls and reloading them, doesn't save much. Better to just buy factory load shells and save your hulls.

Yes. I have one in 20-16- and 12GA. I don't see any model numbers but I seem to remember the 12 GA at least was a "MEC 600."

You can get the price down by not shooting 1-1/8oz load. I run 3/4 across the board in everything except 410 and breaks clays in everything I shoot...skeet, 5-stand and sporting clays...does just as well at trap, out to about 22yds...just have to choke more.

Never bought any Remington gun club shells, they are all in the trash at every trap range. Just hit the garbage cans and you'll get plenty. Not really worth reloading in todays market, lead is too expensive and finding primers, and powder can be a chore, not to mention shipping and hazmat fees.

Average joe. I’m seeing that as well. 15-20 cents a primer. Powder Varys greatly depending on load. The Shot is up. But the situation is there just isn’t any hunting ammo on the shelves anymore. I found water foul shot in 3.5 which luckily I just bought a gun that takes it.

I so;d the better hulls, the Gold Nitros for .05/each. No way I would spend 10-15 cents for steel based hulls.

Not really worth reloading in todays market, lead is too expensive and finding primers, and powder can be a chore, not to mention shipping and hazmat fees.

Except the Gun Clubs are selling for upwards of $10/box. The days of $4-$5/box promo loads are gone and not coming back

"The wax?", I use candle wax with a spoon full of JPW added.
Can be any wax, the stuff melts when the shell is fired.
Some is vaporized and some will coat the chamber just like a paper shell.
The small quanity that is vaporized coats the barrel inside, helps when cleaning.

Originally Posted by cdoc
PROBLEM: Bad news is the 8-fold crimp leaves a hole in the center

QUESTION: Are you loading w/ a MEC ?

ANSWER: "...the 12 GA at least was a "MEC 600."

SOLUTION: Lower the Crimp Cam a smidge (Smidge = 1/2 paperclip width. Two Smidges is a full paperclip ;) )

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd5NiYk1TLU 1st 20 seconds
A No Brainer (good news for me :D)

Might also need to adjust the precrimp first; that generally closes the opening more so the hole goes away. Worse comes to worse, add a Cheerio on top and the crimps tend to come out great

Back