Remington G-3/1100

ammo.crafter

My G-3 fails to eject a fired shell if the shell is feed through the feedl tube.

No such problem if a shell is placed directly in to the breech.

The failed shells all have a slight "nick" on the case rim.
Do I have an ejector problem?

Is this with only one brand of ammunition and, if so, what brand and load? Also, what happens if the failure to eject was the last shell in the magazine tube and do breech loaded hulls eject if there is a round in the tube?

Since the G3 uses the same nub of solid steel to eject hulls that the rest of the 1100s/11-87s do I seriously hope it is not an ejector issue. After the shell fires, I don't know how the gun knows how it was fed into the chamber. Need a lot more info, and pics might help. What kind of round, handload or factory, etc., etc. Standard factory set up, no alterations?

Virginian. I was just thinking that if for some reason barely enough energy is generated to eject a hull, whether or not it is fed from the tube, when another isn't being fed from the tube, there may not be enough energy to eject that spent hull AND feed a live round from the tube. This assumes that any but the most de minimus level of energy is used to feed the new round up until the time that the spent hull is ejected.

I also wonder what the OP meant by the "case rim". I had thought he meant a mark on the rim of the brass left by the ejector, but if he meant the other end of the hull is it an indication the the rim of the hull is catching on something as the shell is lifted up towards the chamber? If so, I would expect the mark not to be on the edge of the opened hull but at the crease left by the crimp.

Like you said, pictures would be a big help. Might this not just be the case of a new gun that is overly greased with preservatives?

Last edited:
Should take no more energy from the fired round to eject a round than it does to eject a round and release another one from the magazine, because the action has to depress the shell stop, etc. whether there is a round there or not. Doesn't make sense. Something is obviously going on, but I don't know what.

I figured on the hand fed hull ejecting before the first out of the tube is lifted up by the carrier. What I was thinking if their wasn't quite enough energy stored in the spring the new shell may not be lifted all the way and that could damage the rim of the crimp. Still, I doubt that to be the problem if the damage to the crimp isn't enough to prevent that shell from feeding and firing.

All ammo is factory target approx 1200 f/s:
Winchester, Federal and Herters all with the same result.

The "mark" which is a noticeable scratch, is on the ejector side of the bolt carrier consistently.

Pictures would help. Is the mark on the carrier or on both the carrier and the ammo and exactly where?

There are some problems with some guns with those promotional ammos, but if you are experiencing the same problem with all I don't know if it is ammo related. I assume you are shooting at a clays range that limits ammo to no larger than 7.5 shot and that stuff is most frequently sold with a 1200 FPS. I wonder what happens if you shoot a dove load with FPS closer to 1300.

Some newer guns don't like the light loads, even if they are designed to take them, until they are broken in. How new is your gun?

Back