Remington Fieldmaster?

kehrby

A friend of mine gave his son a used 20 guage for Christmas. They came over the other day just to shoot some clays out back and I got to look at this gun. It is an older Remington 870 I'm guessing about 30 yrs old. It has a straight stock and says Fieldmaster on the reciever. My buddy says that this was one of Remingtons factory options during the 70s but it looks like a special order to me. Either way its a sweet shooter and he got a heck of a deal on it. Anybody know anything about this gun?

Just checking back on my post. I thought Dave might be some help here as he seems to be the resident 870 expert:D

Fieldmaster's a new one on me. Remington did have a pump 22 model nicknamed that, but I see no connection.

70s era 870s are very nice, tho the finish on the wood is a bit shinier than I like on a hunter. 4/0 steel wool fixes that. Your friend has a great shotgun.

Are you sure it doesn't say Field Wingmaster? Remington introduced this gun in 1964. It is the same as the Wingmaster of 1950-1963 era, however, came with a pistol grip stock. This would indicate that the stock may have been purchased after 1987.

I cannot determine, except for the following, when the English stock was presented by Remington, but (inj my opinion) I think it is safe to say the straight stock was not issued with that shotgun.

I can only find one 870 that came issued with the straight (English) stock and that is the Remington Special Field model. It was available in 12ga and 20ga that was made from 1987 to 1995.

HJN

Ok, I think I am really confused. The gun may well be this special field model. I dont have the gun here with me since it is my buddies kids gun but I will need to do some more investigation. I appreciate all the help guys. When I find out more I will return.

Steve:confused:

Back