Remington Fieldmaster 121

I picked up a Remington Fieldmaster 121 at a garage sale the other day.
I thought I might use it to take out some rabbits that are chewing on the wifes shrubs.
It looks in very good condition and the previous owner said that it still works but he hasn't fired it in a few years.
It says ".22 Short, Long or Long Rifle" "PKU" on the barrel.
The serial # is 49xxx.
I can load a single bullet but how do I load with the tubular magazine?
How many bullets will it hold?
What ammo would be best suited to use with this rifle?
Can I mount a scope on it or would that be detracting from it's value?
Any idea on it's approx value? or
Where could I go to get it appraised?

Attachments

• IMG_6810.JPG
    IMG_6810.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_6809.JPG
    IMG_6809.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 233
Pretty much .22 long rifles are the standard today. Rabbits are pretty easy to kill so any bulk pack ammo will do. To load the tubular magazine push and twist the knurled end of the mag tube, then the spring loaded rod will come out. Load the bullets with the bullet end pointing towards the muzzle. It should hold around 10 - 15 bullets depending on the length of the tube. If the receiver is grooved or tapped for a scope base or rings then mounting a scope is relatively easy and shouldn't detract from its value. Otherwise I would stick with the iron sights.

Thanks for the info, ENC.
As regards the scope, here are 2 photos of the area.
Is the receiver grooved or tapped? I don't think so.
I think I will leave it be.
Any idea of it's value?

Attachments

• IMG_6814.JPG
    IMG_6814.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_6811.JPG
    IMG_6811.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 335
i looked at one recently, it was not near as nice as yours. i was going to buy it at 350, but a closer examination revealed someone had ruined it by drilling and tapping, the receiver for a scope. i am curious what did you pay for your rifle?

Ya I would stick with iron sights. They should be plenty accurate for rabbit ranges. sounds like a good buy

Evan

Back