Remington discontinues detatchable mags?

ICBentley

Heard a rumor that Remington will no longer make detatchable magazine rifles. Saw that current production 700 PSS .308 20" bbl have non detatchable magazines now.

Is it true that they just don't make 'em any more?

Anyone know why? (Function? Politics? ??)

Any opinions on whether DM's were desirable anyway? What advantages/disadvantages have you experienced?

Many Thanks,
Bentley

I hope it isn't politics! I had heard a rumor Mossberg was going to drop their black scary guns, but (AND HEAR THIS) it was only a rumor.
One advantage to the detachable mag is loading and unloading with a scope mounted.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

No one wants them. That's why. Worked a gun show for a friend a few weeks ago and those rifles just sit there. No one even looks at them. Have a Browning A-Bolt Varmint in 308 with a detachable mag, I load from the top. It is easier and faster.

Robert

The Remington DM's are very prone to feeding problems when they get dirty.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

DMs are a safety feature, IMO. They make it easy to load the gun without chambering a round. That is why I like them even though on hunting guns they are not all that useful for volume of fire. The other reason for DMs is to have 4 rounds for hunting and 10 for other uses. Millet, I think, makes platic 10-rd .308 and 30-06 magazines for Remington rifles.

DM's make loading and unloading easier. But for some reson, they DON'T sell very well. Winchester dropped DM's. Remington still has them as far as I know, but I would not be suprised to see them go. I can live with or without a DM. All of my bolt guns are for hunting, and I only need 1 round ( most of the time). I don't own a "sniper rifle"... but I can't see a sniper needing to do a quick tactical reload. I do think these companies should at least OFFER a few rifles with a DM. But I can't see it happening.... and the White House isn't complaining!
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "

The advantage of detachable magazines is the safety feature mentioned earlier. Push the two releases and voila, the mag well is emptied. Of course, you should still open the bolt and ensure that nothing is chambered. Another advantage is it allows for quick reload. In the old days, sporter rifles were slotted for clips (like the Mauser 98, Springfield or Enfield). Since most rifles are scoped, stripper clips aren't pratical anymore.

The disadvantage of the detachable magazine is more metal must be removed from the receiver. This reduces rigidity. Also, Big Green never really perfected the design and it had problems as described above.

Personally, I prefer a fixed magazine; but what else would you expect from a blackpowder enthusiast?

Buy a Steyr, they are still making DBM styles. Plus you wind up with a better gun in the process.

Theres is always Savage lines of bolt-action rifles with detach mags. But if you think Savage rifles aren't good, then get higher priced rifles that basically offer the same features as a Savage but the name brand. :)

------------------
They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -EDA

"Giving up is not in my vocabulary". -EDA

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -EDA

Hard to understand why someone cant come up with a good aftermarket magazine for the Rem 700 DMs. I really like mine except for the occasional feeding hang ups. Something to work on I guess, theres gotta be a way to make those DMs better.

Back