Remington Core Lokt 30-06 PSP "etxra" Lead on Tips

MISteve

Inactive
So I got a couple boxes of plain Core lokt ammo. Is it normal for the lead "tip" on these psp rounds to have a little "extra" lead? almost like shavings you can scrape off with your thumbnail or minor tip deformities in the lead?

Is this normal for these rounds? (If I am using bad terminology pile on please... tough love).

That sounds to me like oxidation on the end of the bullet rather than extra lead. That happens to ammo after a while. It doesn't seem to hurt anything at the ranges I've shot. 350 yards and they will still go through both shoulders on a cow elk. Granted, that was not core-lokt, but it was a psp bullet. If it bugs you, get a scrap of denim and wipe it off before you go hunt with it.

MISteve, if you're talking about a thin layer of lead that extends back over the jacket from the lead tip, it's nothing to worry about. It just means the jacket didn't quite seal before the lead contacted the end of the point-forming die, when the bullet went through its final sizing/forming operation.

Unless it's extreme, it shouldn't affect accuracy, bore fouling, or feeding. Even then... you probably wouldn't be able to detect any change, under normal circumstances.

If it's something else, you'll have to be more specific.

This is what lead oxide looks like: http://www.sailhome.org/Solutions/SayWhat/Piano_files/oxidized_lead_bullet.jpg
I don't think that's what you're describing.

I've had the same thing happen to CoreLokts that I've bought too. I just made them pretty with the end of my fingernail.

Thanks guys. Yes it is what Franken Mauser and Jbotto describe... from the pic not oxidized. Glad its normal because these rounds aren't too cheap.

Back