remington bolt bending

xcalibor67

Inactive
Has anyone ever attempted bending a bolt handle that is brazed on? Reason being, I built a rifle using a Remington 722 action which has a 90 degree bolt handle, and I wanted to use a 700 stock with a BDL hinged floor plate. Really did not want to grind on the new stock, and it has a large gap at the back of bolt channel for the 700 style handle..I was thinking of using some heat sink compound right above the bending point and up on the top where its soldered on, then using a fairly large tip, heating up the bolt fast, so I don't have to stay on it all day and bending it, then dipping just the upper part of the handle to aid in keeping the solder joint cool... Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks.

I'd rather make a insertable heat sink that fits into the bolt.

If you heat it hot enough, you can ruin the braze work. So, with that in mind, I'd undo the braze and remove the bolt, bend the bolt by heating with a torch and bending it with heavy pliers and finally welding it back onto the bolt.

I agree with Gary, remove the handle, bend it, then silver solder it back on. And use a heat sink on the bolt body.

Back