Remington Apache 77?

Gunman45.

Inactive
Im kind of new to these forums so im not to sure if this is where i should post this, but on to the question. My mother found a Remington Apache 77 last week and said i could have it when i go see her Monday, i did a little research and know that they went up to 300 dollars in value, and i was wondering why. were there few made, or is it because of it being made from nylon? also i only have one gun at the moment ( stevens model 94 20 gauge) and was wanting to look out for not necessarily unique relics but some of the more unique hard to find guns, so would that be a good start? ether way its free XD.

Hi. A Remington Apache 77(AKA Nylon 77 made 1970/72 only) is one of their Nylon stocked .22's. Condition is everything, but Cabela's in Gonzales, LA. is listing one at $599(Decidedly optimistic). Supposedly made with green nylon for K-Mart. Suspect that was Stateside only. Never seen a green one myself. Collector pieces they ain't though.
Gunparts lists 10 round mags at $28.75 each.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/196980.htm#196980A
However, they were good reliable .22's. Buddy of mine had one, he managed to strip and assemble without any fuss. Nylon's have a reputation for being difficult to reassemble.
You will not get parts or mags or any other support from Remington for it. Except this.
http://support.remington.com/General_Information/APACHE_77_RIMFIRE_RIFLE/Operating_the_Firearm

The Apache 77 was the black stock with chromed hardware model. They didn't make very many of that one. Kind of gaudy and odd looking rifle, if you ask me, but they are like any other Nylon autoloader, they shoot OK but just OK. There are much better rifles available for less money than the Mylon rifles cost. But if it's free, then that may change your mind.

And yes, they draw a bunch of money from the nostalgic baby-boomers who want one just like the one they wanted back in 1968 when they were kids. I sold my Nylon 66 that had hundreds of thousands of rounds through it for $350 about 15 years ago.

Remington introduced their Nylon 66 autoloader in 1959. In spite of early skepticism about the Nylon (Zytel) stock*, it was very successful with well over a million made. They decided not only to replace their bolt action wood stock line of .22's (510 single shot, 511 box magazine, 512 tubular magazine) with Nylon stock models (10 Nylon, 11 Nylon, 12 Nylon) but to add a lever action (Model 76) and a 5-round box magazine version of the original 66, called the 77. I believe all were offered with stocks in Mohawk Brown (standard), Black Diamond, Apache Black (with chrome metal), and Seneca Green. The Nylon 66 was also made in a .22 short version for the shooting gallery market.

The Apache 77 is the same as the 77, but has a ten-round magazine; it was made for K-Mart 1987-89. The receiver cover is black painted (looks a bit like Parkerizing), the stock is olive green.

None were anywhere near as successful as the Nylon 66 and Remington eventually dropped the whole Nylon stock idea.

*Savage/Stevens had begun using plastic stocks for its shotguns and some .22 rifles a couple of years before and persisted in spite of the fact that the stocks were brittle and the woods were littered with the pieces of broken stocks. So the public needed selling on the Nylon 66. I watched the Remington rep run his station wagon over one, repeatedly, and became a believer.

Jim

Some time in the late 1980s or early 1990s, Remington sold the design and rights to the Nylon rifles to a South American company. The resulting rifles were imported by FIE, a bit rougher than the Remington version, but Remington used their stocks for warranty stock replacements until early 2000s at least (original Nylon rifle stocks came with a lifetime warranty).

4 weeks ago I saw a beat up black nylon Rem with tube feed up the butt for $150. I went back to the pawn shop 3 weeks ago to get it, but it was gone.

I did get a minty Apache 77 clip feed for $275.
It was a last gasp from Remington in June 1987.
Up close it is green, but a 2 feet away and the camera sees it as black.

Attachments

• Remington 77 Apache 1987 $275 2-24-2016.jpg
    Remington 77 Apache 1987 $275 2-24-2016.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 99
Back