Remington Accelerator for home defense?

Any thutty-thutty load is gonna be social ruination. Unless I already had some Accelerator ammo, I wouldn't go out and buy any. I guess it would perform about like any .223, but all in all I'd prefer the 150-grain bullet for use on people.

Just my opinion, Art

a 30-30 is in my opinion with ANY load TOO MUCH gun for a HD scenario. How ever, if its all you've got then make due. practice snap shooting at reactive targets close up (say 29 feet). If you MUST use a rifle, one in a pistol caliber would be far more desirable.

A shotgun with #4 pellets is the BEST option for a close encounter. A hangun is next best.

Dr.Rob

Over-penetration will occur if you use any high-powered rifle in CQ environment. Best to get some of those frangible rounds (do they make them in .30-30?)

Your best option would be a three gun battery. With a sure-firing handgun being the primary defensive tool. A good shotgun with buck or #4 shot would be a great choice. Finally, a rifle for extreme encounters which the BG lets you walk over to your safe, remove your rifle and fire at him.

Most encounters are over before they begin but it would be nice to have that .30-30 in the rack just in case...

Back