Remington 870?

Miles2014

Thinking of picking up a new 870 with the current rebate. Anyone purchased one in their recent incarnation? What’s been you experience, is the quality still good?

Thanks!

More info needed

Need just a little more info. Are you talking about the Express or Wingmaster?

Bottom line is that even though there are potential problems, they are still good enough. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Thanks, Pahoo

I was looking at the basic Express with wood (or wood like laminate) stock with 18.5 inch barrel.

Thanks again.

I’ve always been a fan of Remington shotguns... have two 11-87s and a 870 Police. All are old enough before current “issues” started appearing at Remington.

I’m actually looking to pick up a TAC-14, so I have no issue buying a new 870. One stipulation is that I’d want to look it over first. As long as there isn’t anything major, I’ll deal with Remington CS if there is a smaller issue. I actually plan on getting it plated by Robar or CCR, so it will be looked over prior to that.

The newer 870's use a lot of cast parts....old Wingmasters use machined parts. If I were looking for an 870, I'd look for a used but not abused Wingmaster.

Please list the cast parts.
The Expresses' extractors and ejectors (not the ejector spring) are produced via the MIM process. I have also seen one newer Wingmaster with an MIM extractor, don't know about the ejector.
IF the manufacturing process on correctly designed parts is properly controlled on MIM units there is no reason they should not perform equally to a fully machined part. The problem lies in that the limits of control are much tighter on MIM than on forgings. Remington did nave a few issues several years ago, but it appears they have addressed that and I am not aware of any in recent times.

I'm not current on the current models

The newer Expresses are solid guns. Much better exterior finish than earlier, and a lifetime warranty
The last Express youth model that I bought for my grandson, has a laminated wood stock. There was little or no protective finish. Just some kind of a stain that scratched off very easily. After the first season, we refinished it. I have one of the older expresses, in solid Birch with a very serviceable finish. To be honest with you, I don't know how the new ones are stocked. We also encountered a chamber issue that was easily fixed. That Express is very serviceable..... .:)

Be Safe !!!!

the trouble with a lot of shotguns today not ejecting fired cases is the shells, they have steel bases and it doesn,t act like real brass. and the chambers must be smooth and cleaned regularly to use them. eastbank.

Remington's cheap 870 models have been known to have rough chambers, leading to extraction problems. Some people addressed this by polishing the chambers. It seems as though Remington has, in recent years, cut corners wherever they could - particularly with the very low priced models.

I have three relatively late model 870 Police Magnums, two high polish blued with walnut stocks and one parkerized with polymer stocks. All three of these are well done.

If you want to go with an 870 (rather than the excellent Mossbergs) then I'd stick with 870 Police or 870 Wingmaster, which are likely to be better made than the cheap Express models.

Consider Mossberg 500 and 590 also - they have dual extractors (single with 870), dual action bars, very well placed controls, a lifter which stays up and out of the way for easiest recharging of the magazine (870s lifter sits down and must be pushed out of the way for recharging) and Mossbergs haven't suffered from the decreasing quality reputation that Remington has been getting in the last number of years.

I just picked up a 590 Shockwave and am very impressed with the fit, finish, and quality of today's 590s! Mossberg is (and has been for a long time) really kicking butt with their shotguns.

If I was looking for a full-size defense shotgun today, I'd go straight to the 590.

If you are a fan of aluminum receivers the Mossberg is a solid choice. Hard to go wrong with a Mossberg or a Remington 870.

For me, this choice has nothing to do with whether the receiver is aluminum or steel. Both materials have been exceptionally well-proven for DECADES on a wide variety of big-name, very popular, and widely-used shotguns.

This choice should, in my view, focus on user controls/ergonomics, design features, build quality, fit, and finish. Time and real-world use has proven that whether the receiver is aluminum or steel is really of very little practical significance.

To each their own. I prefer polished and blued steel. I can see and feel the difference, and that goes for semi autos too.

Nothing wrong with polished and blued steel; nor stainless steel, nor aluminum. I enjoy them all, myself. Tend to like old school styling, as well.

Here, just a small trio of pump guns, all of them capable. The Persuader has seen the lion's share of use. Awesome gun. Drop dead reliable.

MossChesterTon.jpg

590, old school-style, is a sweet one too.

590_Bantam3.jpg

Steel vs aluminum receiver is of virtually no consequence to me. Same with my semi-auto shotguns.

Parkerized is quite effective, but polished & blued has 'panache'.

P1020712.jpg

Stainless, anyone? It's all good!

Z3130581.jpg

Nickel-plated aluminum receiver? Sweet, too. Browning Maxus Golden Clays.

Z3090561.jpg

Let's not forget the tactical self-loaders! Versamax Tactical and Beretta 1301 Tactical:

P1010233-Edit-2.jpg

Shotguns are just sa-weet!

Last edited:
My wife bought me an 870 Express Tactical 7rd for Christmas about 5 years ago. It is okay, but can be finicky with ammo. Eastbank is correct. ammo makes a huge difference. I cannot run Winchester white box at all. Even Remington target ammo will hang a bit when the chamber heats up. That said, I've never had an issue with high brass buckshot.

"...talking about the Express or Wingmaster..." Same thing. Different finish. Wingmasters haven't always been Remington's higher end shotgun either. Mine says Wingmaster on it and high end it ain't. It's also about 37 years old.
There's nothing wrong with cast parts. Ruger built their entire business on investment cast parts.
"...Finicky with ammo..." Operator failure. Rack the slide harder.

rack the slide harder? when the steel plated cheap shell base expands it grips the chamber wall and doesn,t go back to close the original size and if the chamber is very dirty or rough you can,t rack the slide hard enough to eject the shell as its locked up tight. I have seen them locked up that took a ramrod to help eject the fired shell. 4-5 minutes polishing the chamber and cleaning every once in a while will keep your gun running. we have several 870 rem express,s that the boy scouts use a lot(several thousand cheap wallyworld shells) thru the year, the only thing we did was polish the chambers and clean them after every use. eastbank.

Last edited:
If you decide on a Remington... give serious consideration to doing a thorough polishing job of the chamber.

Back