Remington 870 with release trigger

ammo dave

My ex son-in-law inherited a Remington 870 "All American Trap Gun" with a release trigger. I'm not a shotgunner but I somehow ended up with temporary custody of the gun. He wants me to pass the gun along to my 18yr old grandson but I'm reluctant to do so without converting it back to a conventional trigger. Is this as simple as just replacing the trigger group?

Will any 870 trigger group fit regardless of gauge ?

No, I don't believe so. I THINK 12ga and 16 ga will work together, but not 20. However, in not 100% certain about that. However, all trigger groups of the same gauge will fit.

Since it is a Trap gun it is a 12 gauge. Any 12 gauge trigger group will fit and work, and they are the most common, so just go with that. I don't think it would be profitable to go into all the esoterica about receiver sizes, finishes and such. Cheapest source would probably be ebay.

Call Remington.

They will know.

A regular 12ga trigger group will fit, and is probably the best (although not cheapest) solution. Release triggers are extremely dangerous in the hands of anyone not TRAINED (not just told) in their use.

Call Remington. It might be you just send them the trigger group, they change it, and send it back...that should be cheaper than buying an entire replacement trigger group.

Good Luck!

Remington is not going to modify an aftermarket trigger group, most likely a Timney. What's to know? A 12 gauge trigger group will fit and function.

There are several makers of release triggers and there are a LOT of trap shooters who use them due to using heavy loads over a number of years. The ones that scare me are the semis with release triggers...........

Last edited:
Release triggers are often why you see all the shot patterns on the back side of the trap houses. It was intended to eliminate the "flinch" trigger pull in trap shooting by triggering the gun with a release rather than a pull. Has no real purpose other than in a comp gun. Very dangerous to a new shooter who never shot it extensively. Your COA to replace is wise. I would never give it to my son either.

I have never seen or even heard of a release trigger. Could someone enlighten me? Would it be similar to a set trigger on a rifle? What purpose does it have on a comp shotgun?

When you pull the trigger the gun does not fire. You must hold the trigger in the pulled position because when you release the trigger, that is when it fires. Used to reduce flinching. VERY dangerous for the uninitiated in my opinion.

i have tried them,but found that they don,t make a difference to me and i was on eggshells when on the line, and i would not buy one. the men who use them have to have them marked that they have a release trigger at the trap range. eastbank.

I've never used a release trigger. I've always associated them with doddering shooters who are looking for one last chance to continue trap before father time 86s them.

The release trigger problems are most prevalent if a release trigger gun is placed in the rack next to similar conventional gun. You can imagine what happens if the guns are miss-identified. Mix-ups do occur at busy clubs: I've had a shooter walk off with my race P-gun a leave his Browning in the rack.

All of the release trigger guns I've seen have an ugly bright red safety label on them. Many clubs require a warning on release trigger guns.

Agree not to give a novice a release trigger.
They are not cheap. Put in a standard trigger group and sell the release to a trapshooter trying to bandaid his flinch.

It is a trigger group that sets when you pull the trigger and fires when you release the trigger. Fairly common among ATA trapshooters struggling with a flinch.

Operation.
Load one round,
shoulder gun,
pull trigger, CLICK!,
call Pull!
track and lead the target, release trigger, BANG!

If you get a broken target or no target, hold back on the trigger, reach over with your other hand to the action release on a repeater or the top lever on a break action, get the action open, then let off on the trigger and start over.

An over/under for doubles shooting may be set up as either release-pull or double release.

I once saw a Model 12 trigger group that had been set up to work either way. The crossbolt safety button became a selector between pull and release trigger operation.

Some release triggers were subject to "pulling through." If you pulled the trigger too hard to set it, it might well fire right then. That is the source of a lot of those patterns on the back wall of trap houses.

Back