Remington 870 vs Mossberg 590

mic007tfp

Hi all, I know this subject was probably covered before, but I was unable to get anything through the search engine. Anyhow, I was wondering which is the better shotgun and why. I was leaning toward a Remington 870 Marine or Mossberg 590-1A Military. I am going to use the shotgun for home defense, and later send it to Vang Comp.

------------------
Well I'ma mushroom cloud laying motherf**ker, motherf**ker, everytime I touch brain guts i'm superfly TNT!

- Jules

I've got several Remingtons( they always work and the parts and accessories all interchange), one is a Marine Magnum. The one thing I like better that Mossberg does is the placement of the safety on the back of the receiver- no fumbling around by the trigger, just push it with your thumb, it doesn't matter if your left or right handed, shooting strong or weak hand.

I have an 870 Marine Magnum and the standard 9 shot 590 Mossberg [not the A1 version]. I like both guns , the 870 is rust resistant , all steel [except for trigger group] , smooth pumping and has a great trigger . The 590 is smooth pumping , has a great trigger , kicks a little less , has a non shiny finish and is usually $100 cheaper [for the non A1 version] . I did replace my 590 safety button with the metal version and shorten the stock 1 1/4" . I would feel well armed with either one . Good Luck , Mike...

I've got a 590 and really like it. It's never given me any type of problem. Cheaper than the Remington too. I also reccomend replacing the plastic saftey button with a metal one.

I've got the 590-A1. This is a sweet pump! I had a 590 and had to upgrade when the A1 became available.

Either choice should make you happy.

Michael K - NRA, MCRGO

Remington has apparently shut down its factory service department, although it offers repairs through "warranty stations." Mossberg still offers factory service. This would probably affect my choice.

Back