Remington 870 - tactical stock question?

BlueOrbit

Inactive
I have a Remington 870 Police shotgun, which is a great shooter. It has the original black synthetic stock. I saw an interesting looking aftermarket stock, which is shown below:

SFS0400_SPG0100.jpg

Anyone here have a stock like that on any of your shotguns? Are there any advantages in having a pistol grip with a regular rifle stock?

Thanks for any input...

Last edited:
I can't see the picture. But from your question and the replies, I imagine it to be a conventional fixed stock that has a true pistol grip. Similar to the pistol grip found on AR15 type rifles.

I have one made by Speedfeed on one of my 870's. This is the gun I use primarily for LE work. I like the true pistol grip stocks. To me it is much easier to hold the shotgun up to the shoulder with one hand. While there are limited times when this will come into play I still like the flexibility of being able to do so.

Rob

I prefer a pistol grip/full stock setup for a CQB shotgun. When carrying a shotgun with a traditional butt stock in indoor ready position my wrist is under a lost of strain due to the extreme angle. With a pistol grip/full stock the stress on my wrist is greatly reduced.

If I replaced the stock on an 870, I think I would strongly consider the Speedfeed stocks. If you really must have a pistol grip (I see most folks recommend against them on a shotgun, but I don't have direct experience using them ...), check out Speedfeed's TACTICAL MAGAZINE TUBE STOCK SET at http://www.speedfeedinc.com/products.html

I like carrying plenty of ammo with a shotgun, and it seems a shame to waste all of that stock space.

Regards from AZ

I have an 870, but am selling it to a friend, since I have 3 Mossbergs.

I am looking for a shorter stock to replace the one on my GR 500. The synthetic stock on my 500 is (1)too long, and (2)has a very thin butt.

Recommendations on a stock with less than 13" LOP? Yeah, I'm a little guy. :D Synthetic preferred. This will be on a dedicated HD platform.

I've been looking, but I have yet to see any of the Choate thumbhole BA (shorter LOP) Mossy stocks for sale, and someone here posted that thumbholes are slower to mount.

Erick brings up a couple of good points about the Speedfeed stock. Speedfeed does however make a model without the extra shell holders built in. That's the version I use.

Rob

Blue Orbit
There are some advantages with PG stocks in LE. Most complaints seem to be the length of the stock, as the different angle of grip the are slow to mount. I switched to a Choate Machine Tool's MK-5 as it has removable spacers to change the pull. It has worked out very well.
Rock

Back