remington 770

I have a buddy who has one and he swears it's just as accurate as the 700.
I don't know if it would be quite as accurate as some rifles off a bench, but for hunting I doubt the rifle would be the limiting factor. It seems like a pretty good deal. I don't think he's missed a deer with it yet (or if he has he hasn't told me :) ).

It's more accurate than I am (which isn't saying much). Easily puts ten shots in a row on a 3x5 card at 100 yards though. Like dayman said, the shooter will probably be the limiting factor for hunting purposes.

I absolutely despise Remington and the 770 is probably my most hated Remington (personal reasons). Even after throwing that out there, I'll tell you what happened while shooting my friend's one day.

I was helping him work up a load and found one that was decent. I didn't have much faith in the gun because it was so cheap and ugly to me. I know that neither of those things matters to how a gun shoots or its reliability but it was just one of those things where I decided it was junk before I ever shot it.

The scope that came on it wouldn't hold zero so he put a new one on and was having me help him sight it in. I shot it twice and could only find one hole and thought it may have missed the target altogether on the second shot. We put the gun in a lead sled just to see what it would do just in case it really did shoot two bullets in one hole. It shot a 3/8 inch 10 shot group at 100 yards. That was even without waiting for the barrel to cool down at all between the 10 shots.

That gun really impressed me, and the fact that it was under $300 was really impressive.

So yeah... I'd say that 770 was accurate

JMP brought up the scope, my factory scope wouldn't hold zero either. I put on a truglo for under $100 and haven't had any problems with it.

It shot a 3/8 inch 10 shot group at 100 yards.

That's pretty dang impressive. It looks like Remington gave up looks and feel in favor of accuracy :eek:

They are accurate, and will work for deer hunting. They are also a poor value for the money. Basically a disposable rifle. Use it for a few years and then throw them away when something breaks. They are designed for the guy who shoots at most a box of ammo a year and will likely last for many years at that rate.

They have zero resale value. Even local pawnshops won't take them at any price so you are stuck with it if you ever decide to upgrade to a better rifle later.

For less than the cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can find much better quality rifles that will hold up and be worth something down the road.

I'm gonna echo what JMR said. They will shoot and are probably good enough for deer hunting but they and their 710 sibling are prehaps the worst centerfire rifles produce in the last few decades. It's fairly obvious when you handle one next to the compition. If you're looking at new ones they are not anywhere close to a deal and if you're looking at used any price they are asking is too high. If they were the only gun available I'd give up on centerfires all together.

Look at Stevens, Savages and Marlins first. Heck, I think I'd rather buy one of the Mossbergs the the 770.

LK

If they were the only gun available I'd give up on centerfires all together.
I'm not sure I would go that far, but pretty close. I have no doubt that they are plenty accurate - just about anything on the market these days will be. I was just appalled by the way it felt when I checked one out at my local sporting goods store. It feels cheaply made, almost like a toy rifle, and when I opened the bolt, it felt like it was going to fall out, it was so loose. I know that these things have little to do with accuracy, but they were a huge turn off for me.
In the same relative price range, you can get a Marlin XL7/XS7. Much better investment, IMO.

Last edited:
A Much Better Deal Would be the Stevens 200. Its the Old Savage 110 in a Grey Plastic Stock, there are piles of acesseries and parts for it and its about the same price. It would be every bit as accurate, maby even more so.
But If you are dead set on the 770, yea you could kill a deer with it, if your a good hunter. Good Luck

its a good gun. accurate. the only thing that really DOES need tweaking at all is
the magazine lip, for some reason i cant figure out, it only wants to load in one specific cartridge pattern, but thats ok. the magazine release is strange but who cares?
even with damaged tips on pointed soft poits, the group only opened up about a half inch.

My wife bought me a 710 (earlier version of 770) for my birthday about 10 years ago. Same experience as several other posts. It was actually above average accuracy by hunting rifles standards. It rode in my ranch truck alot and got shot alot and when it broke (trigger guard) I junked it because I could buy a better rifle for what it would have cost to fix it. :rolleyes:

770s are acceptably accurate and you could certainly kill a deer with one. I can't understand why anyone would buy one though, because there are much, much better made guns for the same price. Look for a Marlin XL or XS7, Stevens 200, Savage Axis etc.

MY opinion is that they have some plastic hardware that should be metal, and they are not attractive, and they aren't very accurate, and, and, and... After shooting multiple 770's for customer at the store I use to work at, I've grown to hate the 770. Most notable was a 770 in .308 Win. Shooting off of a lead sled and after trying various factory loads, I couldn't get the thing to shoot a group under about 5 inches at 100yds. With that said, I'm not a 770 fan and I think the quality reflects poorly on Remington. I, also, would never try and put a 770 on the same level as a model 700. There's really just no comparison. Again, this is only MY opinion.

go with the savage axis about the same price and a way better gun in my opinion. 770's are garbage if you ask me and i havent met a single person who has a savage that wont shoot well.

Back