Remington 770

hudson69

Inactive
I am looking for a 308 DBM rifle for hunting. The only real rifle I have new in my price range has been the Rem 770 but I have heard good and bad, mostly bad about this rifle. Any thoughts; I might end up going out with just my Super Blackhawk again.

Rifle suggestion

You need to take a look at a "howa model 1500" in the caliber you wish to shoot. They are very high quality & the price is generally within the working mans budget. Btw: The weatherby vanguard, mossberg 1500, & the smith & wesson 1500 are all made by howa in japan !!!!!

Guru1911

I'm anti 770 ----

a) The 770 is loaded with plastic
b) The rifle does not hold its value
c) I'd be surprised to see a 770 last a full season in the field (especially here in Colorado).

In my opinion, if price is your issue, you'd be better off with a Stevens (they cut fewer corners for the same price).

You might also look around for a used rifle. I bought a used Winchester Model 70 for $100 more than the 770. It is worth every penny of the difference.

Check out some of the big box stores, and see if they have any Remington ADL closeouts (I found closeouts at Cabela's and Sportsman's warehouse).

I have a Savage axis in 308 (my first rifle actually so maybe i'm biased) and at least here they go for 300 with a cheap Bushnell scope on em, and it has the detachable magazine you want. The magazine release is just a lil plastic tab and most people don't like it (I'm hardly a fan of it) but it actually feels pretty robust and i've dropped a loaded magazine with no ill effect. I've also never used said mag release and been worried about it breaking or anything of that nature. The only thing I don't really like about it is the stock, or rather the lack of aftermarket stocks. The wrist is a lil thin on the stock but overall I think it's a pretty serviceable rifle.

If you MUST have a DBM your options are limited. If the 770 was the only thing in my price range I'd either wait and save some more money, or look at something with a blind magazine. DBM's are a waste of time in my opinion on bolt rifles. They usually hold 1 or 2 fewer rounds than blind or floorplate magazines and the conventional magazines only take a few seconds longer to load/unload. On an AR holding 20-30 rounds yes. Bolt gun, no.

The Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, Marlin XS-7 and Stevens 200 are within a few $$$ of the 770 and any are a 10X better rifle.

Guru I am going to give you the advice I would give myself, I am no expert but I'm gonna give it to you straight:

When I found the 770 about two years ago and was new to buying guns and starting my collection etc, I asked about it and everyone on every gun website all said NO. Various forms of, it's cheap junk, its the junky stuff of 700's that doesn't make the cut [But not in a Good way, like a value type, a BAD WAY like its junk so we'll try to sell it instead of throwing it out] and I'm glad I didn't get it.

What *I WOULD* do in your situation, I almost did at one time and I still might do , is buy the Dick's Sporting Goods combo package, Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 - it's .308 Win your preferred caliber ( and mine too and it also has other calibers avail) , it comes with some sort of scope (I think a 'Remington' branded 3-9x40mm) and serviceable scope rings/mount, its a 26" barrel ready for longer range sniping, and its a damn good rifle for $499.99 - I mean you just can't beat all the stuff for $500 bucks total.

Now is it THE BEST 700 , no its not. Nor is it even one of the better ones as it's a cheaper synthetic stock, a long barrel some people don't like, not a fancy jeweled bolt or bedded action etc. -- BUT STILL- IT'S A Remington 70 .308 with a mounted scope that you are ready to go snipe deer etc. with. You can zero the mofo for accuracy and go on a hunting trip or range trip with your friends family etc. and be all set for not a lot.

AGAIN- There will be a ton of answers here and I know there are lots of great rifles and if was making a big purchase I would get a better 700 model or probably really a Savage. BUT Instead of getting that 770 that you'll regret please go consider my post and look for those combos at Dick's.

There are a lot better rifles out there for similar money. Take a look at the Stevens 200, Savage Axis, Marlin XS7. I wouldn't buy a 770 over any of these just to get a DBM. Then again, I wouldn't own a 770 if it were free.

If you MUST have a DBM, up your budget a bit and get a Tikka T3.

Back