Remington 770 one more time

Dano4734

I know I know it's junk but I just bought one used in a junk store for 150 bucks. Someone must have done some work on it, the bolt was like butter, no trigger grit or creep magazine was tight and working flawless. Even with the crappy scope it was impressive at 200 yards and I put 50 rounds through it.. Oh it's a 3006. Don't need another but the price was right. I think someone worked on it.. Good backup gun i guess. Sometimes it is worth taking a risk I guess

I bought a Rem 710 back when they first came out, which I think is the predecessor to the 770. It's certainly nothing to get excited about but it shoots quite well and I don't care about carrying it around in nasty weather, scratching it or anything. It's been a perfectly adequate pack-in elk rifle actually. I did upgrade the glass though, mainly for better low-light performance.

You know you are exactly right. This will be a good knock around rifle that will do the job. I will take it out for white tail and like you will upgrade the glass.

I've only handled one 770 and found it ain't no Sako or Sig Sauer Supreem. What it is? ~A good rifle for filling a Freezer every Fall. By golly if your pleased with your purchase that's all that really matters. I hope the rifle works out well for you.

Most all of the cheap budget guns shoot very well. I consider most of them as disposable guns and I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way. They shoot well enough and will last the average hunter many years. When something breaks it is usually cheaper to just buy another than try to repair them. They aren't the type of gun that will be passed down and used for generations and they will never appreciate in value the way many guns will. But for a lot of people they serve a role.

I've ended up with 3 of the Ruger Americans in addition so several much more expensive rifles. I think the Ruger version is better made than the 770, but still consider it in the "disposable" category. But those 3 are the most accurate rifles in my safes and I have less money in all 3 combined than some individual rifles.

Back