Remington 770 30-06

jeffrovation

Inactive
Hello everyone. I had just bought a Remington 770 30-06 at Wal Mart. The bolt was really tight when I checked it out. But the guy at the counter told me pretty much that it was just a new gun and needed to be broke in. Is this true? I had also checked out a mossberg 30-06 and it was about 300 and the action on it was pretty decent but it did not include a scope. AFter reading some on this forum it seems as though I had not made the right choice. I did lube the bolt up and I have been moving the action back and forth and it seems to be easing up quite a bit. When we took it out at the store the bolt would not even go to the rear after the bolt was released but after moving it back and forth it seemed to go smoother. Is this something that gets better with time? I'm pretty much a handgunner and I purchased a Mossberg 500 not too long ago and I am happy with that. I just do not know much about rifles. I have read mixed ratings on this rifle though. After reading some on here I feel like I should be running to a gun store and trying to trade it in or sell it. I saw in the for sale section of this forum though where there were a few people interested in purchasing one from someone who wanted to sell theirs and I believe it was for about 300 or so. Let me know your thoughts.

Yes it is normal for the bolt to be tight when it is new. When I bought my rem 700 it was extremely tight and took a while to loosen up.

Better that it's a bit tight than for it to be loose, really. If, after a couple of hundred rounds you think it's still too tight, a light workover with 1000 grit emery paper on the binding areas oughta help. Heck, spend some time cycling the bolt while you're watching TV...

I presume you've cleaned the rifle to get off the grease that was applied at the factory, and then re-lubed the bolt. As already mentioned, tighter is better than looser. It should loosen a little bit with use.

You've already bought the gun, so don't worry so much about the comments about it here. Take it out and shoot it, and see how she shoots. Try several different brands/weights of ammo to find which one the rifle shoots most accurately. You might be very surprised and happy.

The more I keep working the action the better it is getting. All the bad reviews and all got me freaked out. I think it might turn into a pretty decent gun. It just needs a break in period. I will post back when I take it out to sight it in.

Back