remington 770 270.

infamousjer

Inactive
just purchased my first rifle yesterday. now im on to ammunition. dont really know what to use. gun says 270 win on barrle is that all im limited too. or can i shoot a 270 rem, 270 wsm. what do all these after letters mean and or what should i start with. so many bullets to choose from. i want to get a good varment bullet, whitetail bullet, and a just plain target shooting bullet. any help would be appreciated. jeremy

270 Win ONLY

Below is what I have used for both whitetail and coyotes out of a 280. It is a good multipurpose load. A 'yote pelt isn't going to look pretty afterward, but they won't suffer if you hit the vital zone.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SBST270&bn=5&type=13

Please be careful and adhear to the basic safety rules. Let the rangemaster know you are new when you shoot. I might suggest you go during off peak hours. If it's a range worth belonging as a member they will help guide you in understanding their rules and protocols.

Winchester

Winchester developed the cartridge design. In you mind separate the rifle maker from the cartridge maker. While they are the same company, the rifle tool shops will cross platforms. To make things even weirder I have a rifle in 7x57; which is also known as a 7mm Mauser or 275 Rigby. Thankfully the 270 does not have such an identity crisis.

To make it even more complicated. Is your gun a bolt action, pump, or semi auto? If it is a bolt or pump action you can shoot .270WIN Light Mag ammo, but if it is a semi auto they don't recommend it.

for factory loads i can recommend remington 100 gr sp for varmints, hornady 130 gr sst for deer, & prvi partizan for an inexpensive target load. all have been very good out of my 270 win.

infam, where do you live? I'd be happy to accompany you to a range if we are close. If we don't live close, there are thousands of members here. I'd be willing to bet someone would be honored to have the chance to give a new shooter a start in the right direction.

Welcome to the line!

Is your gun a bolt action, pump, or semi auto? If it is a bolt or pump action you can shoot .270WIN Light Mag ammo, but if it is a semi auto they don't recommend it

Remington 770 is a bolt action rifle. My friend has one and he loves it.

Back