Remington 7600

jkheine

Inactive
My first post. SO be nice. LOL
I have a Remington 7600 .243 probably a 1992, anyway, this thing is extremely accurate. Is there anything I can do to the action (pump) to make it easier?

Shuck it like ya mean it...

4 or 500 times...

Much like lever actions, the 7600's I have seen usually need to be 'broken in' a bit...

Other than that, keep it relatively clean and lubed...

Spray with WD40 if you think old oil is gumming it up. http://www.wd40company.com/partners/msds/usa/ Check the MSDS for composition.

I bought a used one real cheap. Was almost impossible to work the action. Seems it was put away wet.

If this is not your problem and you just want a smoother action, shoot it a lot.

Last edited:
WD-40 will gum it up.

Clean with a proper gun solvent and lightly oil the action. Then dry fire it about 20,000 times. In a few weeks it will be as slick as alligator snot.

Is it proper on this site to say. In the evenings, I'm gonna put it in my lap and just wack it off. My wife will think I'm goofy, but she knew that 20 years ago LOL

Welcome to the forum. My limited experience with 7600s has been positive. They are generally pretty good shooters. Like the others have said, just work the action a couple hundred times each night for a week.

work it, baby.

NEVER use WD-40 on a firearm.

Use a degreaser first; clean the gun very ell; use a synthetic product like
EZ OX and work the action again.

That should make a big difference.

Good luck in what ever method you try.

Definitely do not use WD40...W = water and water = rust

w= water, true; but also true d= displacement.

WD40 = water displacement, 40th formula. I'm pretty sure there is no water in WD40 to cause rust. It isn't, however, a great choice for firearms because it doesn't remain on the gun long, and then moisture in the air can attack it.

You need to take it down and lubricate the bolt, slide rails and lugs. Just like an 870

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Never use WD-40 as others have already stated, I use Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. It doesn't gum up when cold. Works better than other gun lubes that I've tried, and a quart will last you a lifetime.

Shootbrownelk, what weight of Mobil One are you using? I've thought about starting to use some of that (mainly saving the last drippings from the jug after changing my oil) but it comes in a wide spectrum of viscosities.

I have a 760 in 30-06 and my father has on i. 300 sav both were used and both had stiff actions what I did was take them apart and clean all the oil and grease of the best you can then reassemble them work the action a bit then take them apart again and clean the oil and grease out and repeat as needed then lightly lubricant and wipe all extra oil off I think people try to oil the action Smith and it is just counter productive you need minimal oil just a film I put it on the wipe it off I have no rust on mine and the action will slide open with gravity

Back