Remington 7600 pump ????

garyo

Thanks for all the input. Labgrade and others mentioned the 7400/7600 Remingtons. I did not know the .308 could be had with a pump action. I love my 870 and it is fast indeed.
I checked out some past post and some of you were going to get or just got the 7600, how do you like it? Is the action as smooth as the 870? Where can I find those 10 round magazines and are they reliable?

Thanks again

------------------
Take Care

My Dad hunts with a 7600 in 30-06. It has been a good gun. It is fast. Accuracy has been good, his is iron sighted (he hates scopes for some reason), and we have gotten some pretty decent groups. All in all I think it is a good gun.

I killed my first deer and hog with a 7400 .308 back in the '70s.

Light, fast handling and accurate. A great rifle. I have not seen the 10 round mags, though.

[This message has been edited by Bud1 (edited April 20, 2000).]

Hey, Firing line. Anyone know where to get those ten round mags? They are the same mags that fit their autoloader, right?

Haven't looked in quite a while but Cabelas used to sell aftermarket mags w/12 rnd capacity. Never used one so can't comment.

I've a 760/pump in 30/06 & it has the smoothest action - much better than the 4 870s that live with us.

The semi-auto mags (for the 740X) I have have the bolt open feature after last shot, the 760X mags don't - but they're interchangable in the pump.

Never was too fond of lever-guns (that's only me & probably because I just haven't had much experience w/them) ... more of a bolt-guy. I do very much so like that pump.

You may be very surprised at the accuracy potential.

As I said in another post, only thing I don't like about it is the fore end makes more noise than I care for in-close sneakin'.

I would think that if I was in the market for a 7400/7600, that I would opt for the 30-06. The rifle in .308 uses the same length action as the 30-06, and will weigh just a bit more. Also both rifles will be of the same overall length. Just a thought.
Paul B.

Actually, I do think the .308 is shorter in the action area & the 30/06 is (was) available in a carbine model - shorter bbl, etc. I got one of the latter.

The metal 10-round mags sold in Cabela's are made by Triple K. They look a little rough but seem to work okay. There are also plastic 10-rounders out there but I don't remember the manufacturer.

Hey garyo,
I have a 760 left hand pump in .30-06

I agree with labgrade about a little bit of noise from the front end, however in WI last fall I shot 3 deer with 3 shots (total...)
I know the first shot was LESS than 20 yards... she was leaping in great big arcs, when her feet hit the ground on the third leap BOOM, she piled up in less than 30 yards... Later that same day a buck stepped out about 50 yards away, BOOM, He fell over right there. I must say the rifle works.

I handload and the same load I use for deer I tried at 200 yards, all 10 went in a 5X4" rectangle, in/near the bull... my first time at 200 yards and I was holding on the bull (I sight in 2 1/2" high at 100 yards.) A .308 should be similar in performance. I am pretty sure a repeat trip to the 200 yard range would result in better performance by the shooter!

I think a Browning or maybe Tikka Bolt action is where I am looking next, but .30-30 vs .308 I would go .308 ...

My 760 was purchased used, you should be able to find them at local gunshows. I have leupold 3.5-10 vari-x III 40mm scope (which I recommend!) in an iron sighter base (can see iron sights under scope... JIC)

I have two 4 round magazines... can't see needing a 10 round box, at the range I don't shoot that many between checking targets, and the extra weight would be too costly hunting.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it. (remember WE are giving our advice, but its YOUR $ and you have to live with the gun.) If you can try shooting BOTH before you buy.

Good luck
Gfrey

Back