Remington 742 Operating Handle Retaining Pin Stuck

Wasted4440

Inactive
I recently took my father's Remington 742 under my wing for a solid cleaning, and I don't think it's been touched since it was made in 1960! Everything came apart just fine with some brass punches until I got to the operating handle retaining spring. The thing won't budge, even after switching to a 1/16' steel punch (now bent) and soaking it in Ballistol (no PB B'laster available). I gave it a few taps from the inside of the receiver, only to read that the pin may be tapered. Does anyone know if this is true? At this point, I'm thinking of taking it to a gunsmith for him to knock it out with his better quality punches, but in the worst case, would it have to be drilled out? Thanks.

If it's tapered, maybe it's directional in removal.
Have you tried removing it in the opposite direction than what you've been doing?
Just a guess, though.
I once had a 742, but it's been too long ago to remember any details.
You could try some judicious use of heat, too.
Not enough to damage anything, just enough to warm things up to dislodge rust and corrosion.

Last edited:
Along with the videos I found specifically on the 742, the 740 and 7400 share almost exactly the same design, and every video I could find on it had the pin being driven out from the top down and reinstalled from inside the receiver out.
I have a steel 3/32" punch, but it's just slightly too big to fit in the pin hole. The brass punches of my set quickly flared out after light use too - cheap never equals good tools!
I've got a heat gun to warm it up some as well, but the ejector port cover is plastic, so I don't want to warp/melt that. Off to the smith tomorrow I guess, hopefully it will be a simple fix and I can clean everything to the point that it goes back in easily. The gun is serial # 14100 out of 1.2 million, so here's hoping the pin is not splined as well.

The pin is tapered and has a single spline to lock it in place. I learned to use a starter punch or a punch that was already broken off very short and ground flat. You probably won't budge the pin with an ordinary long punch. GW

It should punch right out with the correct sized steel punch. I never had an issue with one. How are you supporting the receiver while you're wailing away on it?

Back