Remington 7400 synthetic

Shin-Tao

I'm leaning toward aquiring one of these pump rifles in 7.62NATO and getting ten round mags from USA to go with it.
I don't own a 7.62mm at the moment, only 5.56mm.
Any of you have experiance with the 7400?

1. The model 7400 is semi-auto, not pump action. The model 7600 is a pump action.

2. I strongly discourage you from purchasing USA mags. I have not found them to be any more than marginal quality. Besides, ten rounds is illegal for most huting uses. For other "non-sporting" uses, the USA mags are not reliable enough.

3. Mine was in .270 Winchester and shot very well. It was, however, somewhat ammo sensitive and had to be kept very clean and lightly lubricated, especiallyinthe chamber. The model 7600 is likely to be less ammo picky due to being pum-action, not gas-operated. Accuracy hovered about 2" at 100 yards with Remington 130-grain Core-Lokt ammo.

My $0.02 - Get the model 7600, not the 7400. Use the factory mags only. Put on a decent scope. Have fun!

A couple of guys I know have them (older wood stocked ones) for deer and coyotes. Pretty accurate, dependable rifles.
I have seen mags by somebody other than USA, can't recall the name, and never heard any reports on reliability.
bergie

I owned the older (pre 7600) model 760 and loved it. Smooth action, light weight, reliable and exceptably accurate with open sights. A friend bought the 742 semi-auto Remington at the same time and the above could be said of it as well plus a relatively safe "cyle rate" for a sporting rifle. All and all I'd recommend them. I wish I would have never sold mine. How many time have we all heard/said that?

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Okay, I fudged this post real good.
But anyway, I'm trying to find out more about the 7600 Pump action.
Thank you for replying.
(Shin-Tao grumbles and looks down at his feet in embarassment.)

Son, Terri ask me fairly regular what this is or that is while looking through magazines or on the Internet. Most of the time I know......alot of the time I don't. On the times I do know and can just rattle off what the gun is, model number etc., she used to ask "how" I know. She now just knows me answer to that is "Well, you just know."
I don't know anyone that is an expert on all manufactures and all models from black powder to the latest tactical rifle to the latest polymir wonder pistol. To know them all would be virtually impossible. My weakest area is the plastic wonder pistols and I'm a handgunner.
The closest members we have here that I have seen with the boadest knowledge are fal308 and Jim Keenan, with Art, George and a few others coming in very near them.
That's the beauty of TFL. No one ever critsizes another for not being a complete expert on all models, modes of carry, ballistics etc..
'Sides we all knew what you meany. Also did I mention I like the 7600? ;)

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

Thanks for the praise Gunslinger. (I'll get you the $5 right away :))
Really, knowledge is gained from reading and experiencing. I have a small firearms library here that helps tremendously plus the fact that I've grown up with firearms. So I've been reading about and handling firearms for over 30 years now. There are others here that have vastly more experience and knowledge than I.
Back to the question. I have a 742 in the safe but I don't shoot it much. The 742 had a problem with either the extraction or the gas system IIRC and the 7400 was introduced as a replacement and improvement on the original 742.
Eagle made some smoked clear plastic mags for a while and Remington did make some 10 round mags years ago, if what's left of my memory hasn't failed me again :D

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited June 07, 2000).]

Back