Remington 7400 .308

OBIWAN

Anyone have anything good to say about this rifle. It strikes me as being a nice P.C. rifle that could serve a second purpose as a longer range defensive arm. 10 round mags are available for that purpose, and it should do just fine for whitetails the rest of the time. The new synthetic stocked version is reasonably inexpensive and @ about 7.5 lbs, it seems pretty handy.

Isn't this a successor-in series to such as the 742? As in semi-auto?

I have a 742K in '06, with a K4. Shoots great! No reliability problems, so far, and I've deliberately not cleaned it for 40 or 50 rounds, for instance...

I found this and wanted to bring it back up to the top again. anyone have anymore info, any experience w/ this rifle? I would like to know more. how is the accuracy, the reliability, etc... thanks

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited September 12, 1999).]

This weapon is the latest iteration of the old 742. It is a product improved version. They strengthened the extractor and some other areas that the 742 was weak in. The 742 was known for breaking extractors after a few thousand rounds. I believe that there was a problem with the gas system also.
Haven't shot mine enough to break anything yet though.

thanks Fal. i went around town today and talked to a fellow that "used" to own one, and went to my dealer/smith, and they both said the same thing, "ain't worth a tinkers damn". both said they were prone to extract the rim of a case w/o removing the rest of the case, ain't good. but they both liked the 7600, which is a pump. they said it's as accurate as the bolt action. i don't know, the dealer had one w/ the syn. stocks, it wasn't in tha caliber i was looking for, but it was interesting..

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Back