Remington 722

xcalibor67

Inactive
I have searched for hours looking for info about interchanging parts from a 722 to a 700. Have read that a remmy 700 bolt will in fact be a drop in replacement for the 722 action, both SA. (excluding head space, as that's a give on any bolt swap)?. Even called Remington with noda. If the bolts as a unit will interchange, what about firing pins, cocking piece etc..Seems logical and practical for me to merely get a 700 firing pin if it will work in my 722, as that's all it needs to function. Thanks.

There are differences between the 700 (short action of course) and the 722 but most are not physical just appearance.

722 Rem

Back in 60s I bought 257Roberts with no bolt. Gunsmith replaced bolt with
700 bolt. Wasn't drop in, required fitting. I don't remember if it was factory
257 or had been rebarreled. It wasn't a 721. Later had it done in 6mm Rem.
with same bolt.

If you swap a bolt the headspace must be checked and adjusted as needed but the 700 long action and the 721 are very nearly the same. The differences are mostly the bottom metal. I've a 721 in the shop that I re-barreled to 270 Win. It was a rotted up 30-06. I put on a laminated stock and the bottom metal from a DBM M700. Most of the work was stock oriented..

I have 722 and 700 and the cocking piece is different and I didn't take bolt apart to see if same firing pin/spring. Might want to call Brownell's they should be able to tell you on that.

Back