Remington 721 30.06

hobieshank

Inactive
I recently purchased a used Remington Model 721 30.06. The guy in the gun shop told me it was not old- made in 1991. He based this opinion on the letter L in the barrel code. When I did some research online, I found the barrel codes charts from Remington, but L in the barrel code could also mean the gun was made in 1964. Furthermore, I thought they stopped making the Model 721 sometime in the 60's when they started making the 700s. Anyone know how I can resolve this?

There should be two numbers, the month and the year. L could mean February or 1964, but the Model 700 was introduced in 1962 and the Model 721/722 dropped at that time.

No matter what the letters mean, no Model 721 was made in 1991. If the price is right, and the rifle in good condition, a Model 721 can still give excellent service as a hunting rifle. In average condition, they run around $250 for the ADL, about $100 more for the BDL. Except for the plain stock and stamped trigger guard, they are identical to the early Model 700.

Jim

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. I wanted the gun to be older. The bolt is heavy and smooth as glass. The stock is in good shape and it shoots great.

Back