Remington 700VS .308

spleenandideal

Howdy everyone, it's good to be back!

I just purchased a new Rem 700VS lefty short-action .308 with the 26" heavy barrel.
Now that I broke the proverbial piggy bank to purchase this rifle, I have a few questions--

1- I plan on topping her off with a quality scope. I've always been a Leupold man, but I'd like some opinions about other scopes, especially Burris and Springfield.

2- What is the BEST scope mounting system for this rifle? I'd prefer two-piece bases in order to gain maximum clearance for ejection. Are the Leupold bases the best for the money?

3- Call me an idiot but I also plan on taking this rifle deer-hunting this season ( I know I know, the rifle by itself weighs 9 pounds) on a short day excursion near home. I figure the extra weight will give me some advantage with hand-held steadiness. Can anyone comment about cutting down the barrel to 24"? How much velocity/accuracy am I going to lose? I've just started loading my own ammunition and wonder if i'd be better off leaving it full length.

4- the trigger is very crisp, although I'd rather have a lighter pull than the 6 pound pull out of the box. Should I let a gunsmith do my trigger job or opt for one of those high-class(expensive) drop in triggers? I think a two pound pull would be ideal.

Well, I'm off to clean the cosmoline from this fresh-out-of-the-box 700. Hope to hear from experienced owners of this same rifle...especially lefties. :)

Cheaper Than Dirt had a deal on Simmons 44Mag scopes; I got one out of curiosity and figuring I deserved a new toy...Tried it on my pet '06; works great so far...

Ol Pet weighs 9 lbs, so don't worry about the deer hunting. I'm a walking hunter, not a sitting hunter. (If I keep on living, that may change--damned mountains keep getting taller.)

The Conetrol mounts on one of my rifles are positive, lightweight and slick-looking, but rather complex. I've used Weaver-style for forty forevers...

I don't know how they are today, but my Canjar is the best trigger I've ever touched. I can bounce the rifle on its butt pad and the trigger holds, even at two pounds. And it's like breaking a glass rod, for crisp...

I definitely wouldn't cut the barrel back until you've used it a while. A skillful "cut" won't affect accuracy--or shouldn't--but if you're not happy it's hard to stretch it back out...That muzzle weight does indeed help offhand shots, particularly if you've been moving quickly to a better vantage point. (As in, run like crazy for 50 or 100 yards, or hustle uphill. :))

FWIW, Art

Back