Remington 700

Deer hunter88

Is the remington 700 rifles from Wal-Mart any good? My local Wal-Mart sells them for $379 and only had one in stock chambered in .308 so I'm thinking about going back tomorrow and buying it, are these rifles worth $379?

Yes and yes. Guns from Walmart are no different than what you'd get from any other source. Those inexpensive 700s may not be pretty nor have a nice stock but they'll serve as a reasonable hunting rifle. Someone will soon come along and post they're junk but I'll bet it will shoot minute of Bambi all day long.

Guns at Walmart are as good, or bad, as the same gun bought elsewhere. At times Walmart will meet go to a manufacturer and spec out a particular gun with certain features that are only available when purchased from Walmart, but the basic gun is the same.

I think there are better options than a Remington 700 regardless of where you buy it though.

Thats pretty cheap for a 700. Remington has been getting a lot of questions regarding their quality recently though.

If your looking for a hunting rifle , you can't go wrong . My one and only is a Remington 700 that I use for bench rest shooting 308 cal. But it started out as a 700 LTR 20" heavy barrel , cost me 900 dollars. You can do a lot with a Remington , what model is it ?
I almost bought a Remington 700 Varmint in 223 at Dick's Sporting Goods for $ 500. But would have had to split the shooting time with my 308 that's the only reason I didn't buy it. I just love shooting my 308.

Yes and yes. Guns from Walmart are no different than what you'd get from any other source. Those inexpensive 700s may not be pretty nor have a nice stock but they'll serve as a reasonable hunting rifle. Someone will soon come along and post they're junk but I'll bet it will shoot minute of Bambi all day long.

The second worst shooting rifle I've ever had was a 700 ADL in 243. A present from a friend. The bedding was that absolutely worst I have ever seen. I went through the thing and got it shooting but the real difference came when I found a used 700 ADL wood stock for it. I don't like plastic stocks but then again the was the only plastic stock I'd ever had till then. What a good plastic stock would do, I don't have a clue. The good part was the plastic stock that came with it needed a lot of work. I don't think that rifle as it came would have done minute of elephant! Good new's is there are some ADL take off around in wood.

Well there are plastic stocks and "plastic" stocks with a big difference twixt the two. Most factory stuff is what I call Tupperware, just injected molded with a lot of hollow spaces to keep the weight down. Barely servicable in my opinion. Them there are the "plastic" stocks that in reality are not plastic at all. Some like a McMillan or H&S Precision are much more expensive. A couple of the what I consider better plactic stock in the Tupperware category are Butler Creek and Ramline and frankly, I haven't seen much of them for some time. The Ramlines I've used have pretty much been drop ins that required almost no work for me. My Butler Creeks did require bedding work with Accraglass.
I have two rifles in Ramlines, a Winchester M70 Youth Ranger I won in a raffle and a Ruger M77 Tang safety model chambered to the wildcat 375/338 magnum. Apparently the gunsmith didn't tighten things down enough and that .375 came out of the stock ruining it. Both rifles shoot sub MOA in those stocks. The two rifles in the Butler Creeks needed bedding work to make them fit are also sub MOA.
Paul B.

The action alone (SA, with .473 boltface) costs more than that when bought separately- so you can't go wrong.

I would say a Savage 10/11 will be more accurate out of the box- but you won't find one new at that price.

My son has one in 7mm Rem. Mag. It shoots more than good enough for a hunting rifle and over time he's upgraded the scope, trigger and stock. For the price point they are a good buy in my opinion.

A Rem M700 at $379 is most likely an M783(MSRP of $399.). Remington sells 'em with a scope installed. That'd be an entry level hunting rifle with the same receiver as any other M700. Wally World gets to sell 'em cheap because they buy a train load of 'em. As mentioned, you get what you pay for, but it'll do. LOP is kind of short at 12 3/8". Easily fixed with a recoil pad. Either slip on or a longer screw on. Or another stock.
"...Walmart will go to a manufacturer..." And tell 'em what they want and at what price they'll be paying.

I agree with post 11 & 12 your receiver , bolt & barrel are just as good as any Remington , you can change the stock even the trigger. I would bed the stock that came with the rifle to experiment with bedding. If it makes your rifle shoot tighter groups great, When you want to turn your 379er into a thing of beauty & accuracy. That's the fun of it. Or you can just buy a $2500 shooter.

Free-float the barrel, install pillars and bedding, adjust the trigger and you'll have a great shooter. Mine is...3/8" to 1/2" groups at 100 yards with handloads.

I threw the scope in the pile of old ones on the shelf...bought a Leupold VX2 3-9x for her.

John

Is the remington 700 rifles from Wal-Mart any good?

The "origin" of any factory-made Model 700 is something you don't have to worry about. A Remington Model 700 rifle purchased from Wal Mart is the same as one purchased from anywhere else. The persistent internet rumor that Remington (or anyone else) makes firearms for Wal Mart (or anyone else) that are of a lesser quality than their "standard" guns is a myth. People who claim the myth is true can never prove it because the allegation is simply factually unsupportable.

But I like to think I have an open mind-if anyone has empirical evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

I am convinced Walmart get's the 2nds, the ones with a little flaw in it, or some steps skipped in manufacture or finishing. That way they can sell them cheaper. I bought 2 Mossberg shotguns from them that had flaws, one had a gouge in the barrel, the other had a rib that the middle bead was drilled off center.

Just because you found flaws in firearms you purchased from Wal Mart is not evidence that they routinely sell "seconds". If you looked hard enough, you could have no doubt have found "flaws" in firearms sold by Abercrombie & Fitch back in the day on occasion.

As I said, I try to keep an open mind. If you find something past anecdotal "evidence" to support your opinion, I'm all ears.

Back