Remington 700

JLK

Haven't purchased a Long range rifle in years and was thinking of a Remington 700 p , what is the quality of Reminton rifles these days ?

^^^^ what he said.

I have several Remington 700's and love them all but I would seriously look at a Savage if I was adding more to the stash. I have a 700P in .308 that is a joy to shoot and is quite accurate. I like 700's so much that I bought another when my best varmint 22-250 needed a new barrel. It is in the safe now with all of 15 rounds through it. . . . .

I got a new 700P a couple of winters ago. After about 170 rounds it settled down and I got a less than a two tenths of an inch 5 shot group out of it. It's definitely a keeper.

Steve G

What caliber? I shoot benchrest with the 700P 308 cal started out as a LTR 20" brl. 1-12 twist re barreled after 4000+ rounds . Had a new M24 barrel, trued & bedded, changed the trigger to a Jewell 8 ounce. Just love the rifle. That's my one & only. Other rifles look prettier , but I never lost the joy in shooting my 700.

Probably a 308, but part of me wants a 223 for cheaper ammo. And part of me wants a 300 win mag. If I knew here to get a good muzzle break installed.

varget

was having trouble to find a recipe for my 700 308, 3 plus yrs trying different loads , was at the point of selling ,by chance came across a box of reloads with recipe on top , tried them ,now at the point of tweeking the varget loads at 3/4 inch group now can only get better

If I knew here to get a good muzzle break installed.

There are lot of good brakes on the market- and a lot of cheap Chicom knock-offs. Witt was mentioned, I have a couple of rifles coming in next week to install theirs. Nowadays, everyone with a CNC is spitting them out like M&M's.

Any local smith can thread your barrel, or you can send to me if you don't have one.

This is a good read, if you're thinking about a brake:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/06/24/muzzle-brakes-field-test/

And this is what the top PRS shooters used last year:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/12/12/rifle-suppressor/

I have a custom break threaded on mine , $275 for the break 100 to install. My range friend installed on his ( clamped screwed ) no threading . Works just as good as mine for $ 100. Stainless or in black steel.

Just saying:
Not Remington but Marlin has slipped a bit in there quality.
Unless you live in Alaska Maine or the Rockie's there really is no purpose for 300 mag ownership.
308 is a serious utility cartridge for big game hunting. 223 is mini utility cartridge for fun & giggles but ideal for varmint hunting.

Back