remington 700

im looking into getting a remington model 700 just for target shooting and groundhog. There are alot of models of the 700 and im not sure which one to get yet. Any advice? and my price range is roughly $600

It sounds like you are in the market for a 22-250. Remington,Ruger and Savage all make some really nice rifles in that caliber.

I'm thinking you might not want a .308.

If you are like most groundhoggers, you will not be shooting a lot at any one outing unless you expand your target environment to prariedogs.

If you are not going to be shooting a lot, than you probably do not need a heavy barrel. Especially true if you are going to be humping it very far.

If you think you might be shooting a lot, then a heavy barrel is probably what you want.

All my varmint guns are heavy barrel. I have an older Remington 700BDL and an older Ruger M77V. Both are 22-250.

Both have been really great rifles. I also shoot a newer Remington 700P in .308.

That is probably my favorite rifle. I would not want to carry it very far though.

There will be others chime in shortly and you will have a lot to think about.

Whatever you decide to get, put some GOOD glass on it and you will be surprised how well you are able to see the little critters.

Hope this helps.

Geetarman:D

SPS tactical, 20" 223.

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

For groundhogs or paper you don't need anything bigger than 223, and a 223 does fine in a 20" barrel. Ammo is much more readily available and much cheaper than 243 or 308 or 22-250

If you think you may big game hunt then you need a lighter rifle and a bigger caliber. Although I'd have no problems using a 223 on deer as long as I chose my ammo carefully.

I would take a look at the .270 Win caliber. Good for woodchucks (leaves a brilliant red mist!), deer, bear, etc. with 130's, and w/150 grains, good for Moose, Elk, etc. The .270 is a classic, flat shooting, hard hitting round, and it doesn't kick much either. If you Google Jack O'Connor, and old school writer / editor for Outdoor Life years ago, he loved the .270 as an all around cartridge. I couldn't agree more. Anyhow, that's my soap box speach. And in a Remington 700, with a decent scope.... you will be set for life.

Yes you are Sir! And I'm guessing Warbird, that you know what I mean by "Brilliant Red Mist", pertaining to the .270 Remington, 130 grain bullets and chucks!:D

I have a Winchester 70 in 308 and my dad has an M77 in 22-250. For groundhogs and smaller stuff a 22-250 would be better. Now, if you're wanting to kill something bigger, a 308 would be better. Choosing between the two, I'd choose the Winchester 70 over the M77 and the Remington 700 over the Winchester 70, but whatever's the best deal is the best gun. The differences between the rifles is pretty minuscule as long as the barrels are about the same quality and they're bedded well.

The 700 has more aftermarket options, so if you think you might get a custom stock, trigger, etc. later on it'll be easier to find the exact one you want.

I would definitely choose the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250. I actually almost bought the SPS Varmint in 308, but I ended up getting a Model 70 with a 26" stainless varmint barrel and a HS Precision Pro stock for $650 at an auction. I'm going for stuff bigger than you are though.

A 22-250 is what we like to use on coyotes, just as a point of reference.

Another benefit of getting the Remington 700 varmint is that they have heavy barrels that have the same twist and length as the high end target shooters, so only a custom stock would be needed to upgrade. (There would be a difference in finish and materials, but that's about it)

Edit: Forgot about the Savages! I like the Savage 12, but I cycled a few used ones and the bolt felt like it was rougher than on older 700s and new 12s. This could just be due to a lack of cleaning and/or oiling and a pretty biased opinion. I would put a 12 on par with a good Winchester 70, but the 700 is still the gun every other new bolt action rifle is compared to.

Last edited:
I have a standard ADL 700 with sporter barrel and Rem synthetic stock. It shoots handloads consistently .75" groups at 100. I shoot prairie dogs, other varmints and predators with it as well as a lot of my practice work. Working on technique is a lot easier with .223 recoil. I put a match spring kit in the trigger, otherwise it is out of the box. probably getting up around 4-5K rounds through it and still going strong. Friend has one like mine and gets similar accuracy so it is possible to get MOA or better for around $500 or so with the 700 in .223.
About the only downside of the sporter barrel is it does start to heat up after 20-25 rds on prairie dogs. Just needs a break now and then.

Yes you are Sir! And I'm guessing Warbird, that you know what I mean by "Brilliant Red Mist", pertaining to the .270 Remington, 130 grain bullets and chucks!

shurshot

Never had a chance to shoot a chuck with a .270 but I've shot a few deer with my .300 Win Mag!! :D Most were good shots behind the shoulder so no big deal but one doe I had an angling shot from the shoulder towards the back (gut exit) and that bullet snagged those intestines and pulled about ten or more feet of them out the other side! Didn't hurt any meat though.... :D

I picked up a 700 SPS LN in .243 a few years ago for under $400 and it will drive tacks. Drops deer and hogs too!

I just mentioned to friends and gunshops that I was looking for one and it took about 3 mos. A lot of deals tend to show up after hunting season is over.

Nothing like flipping chucks at exteme ranges with the Varminter.

First time I shot the VLS I was getting mad because I thought I was completely missing the target after my first shot.

After walking to the target, turns out the next two shots just slightly enlarged the first shot:D

I was all smiles lol. Kinda turned me into a 700 fan real quick.

If you reload, take a look at the 260 Remington...

Rifles001.jpg

I have had good experience with all of the R700s I have owned which have included BDL, SPS SS, SPS Varmint and XHR. The SPS can be had for about $550, the SPS Stainless for $650...judicious shopping can save $50.

Good luck,

FH

I say if your stuck on the 700.The sps tactical .308 or the sps varmit .308 but i like the trigger better on the sps tactical and it already comes with a hogue dual-point pillar bedded stock just saves on cost later on if you deside to add on a beter stock.

You might want to check out the stainless SPS Varmint specials that Cabela's sells; right around your price range and they usually have a sale + rebate on 'em once a year or so. A little on the heavy side, but still manageable. You can always add a better stock and trigger later, as I have on my .22-250; .204 would work well, also. If you want less weight, a good used (discontinued) LVSF would be a good bet, as most shoot quite well.

I prefer the older Remingtons built before 2007. Cerberus/Freedom Group didn't do Remington, H & R, Marlin or Bushmaster any favors when they bought them out. The quality is just no longer there.

I'd buy used.

BTW....I own about a 1995 Remington BDL in .243. It drives tacks and can't be beat in the quality department.

Back