Remington 700

AZwarts

I am looking into buying a model 7oo and I was windering what is the difference between BDL,CDl,ADL? They don't look to different to me but hopefully an expert could fill me in.
Thanks

BDL and CDL have a hinged floor plate. The only ADL you can find anymore is at Walls-Mart and they are the el cheapo version.

the ADL has always been the utility gun. BDL is the one that was made into the classic rifle- cut checkering, floorplate magazine, white line and black fore end with black grip cap and butt plate, gloss wood, so forth. It was what old fashioned shooters wanted in a fancy rifle.

The CDL was originally classic, IIRC, not custom. It basically went with the BDL and used less fancy stuff. Matte finish, no forend or grip cap, so forth.

This is what they have meant in general over the past 40-50 years.

The ADL, in years past, was one fugly weapon. Stamped checkering, lousy wood, so forth. I'm almost happy to see plastic stocks instead of that

I have a 2009 BDL in .30 -06. It has a wood stock which is highly polished (not to everyone's liking either - a bit too glossy), iron sights, sling mounts, and checkering. Its a very nice rifle. Solid with a very smooth action. Traditional styling. A good rifle.

To add to the confusion they quit making the ADL models for a few years and they were replace by SPS models, but I believe last year they brought the ADL models back......:confused:

The 700 Rem was my first centerfire rifle. In ADL in 6mm Rem back in 1974. Since then I've liked the 700.
I have only one 700 now and it's about time I got one in a caliber I always wanted since 1970, the .257 Weatherby Magnum.
Mine's not stainless, it has the 26" contoured fluted barrel and action in blued steel, the famous CDL wood, and the usual perfect trigger.
I feel at home with the Remington Model 700. It is one of my favorite centerfire rifles of all time.

I too love the feel of the 700. My .22-250 is an ADL made in 1983, when they had cut checkering and beautiful polishing/bluing. The barrel is hammer-forged and has been extremely accurate, though I'm not crazy about the weird hammer pattern in the bluing.

The new stainless PAC-NOR barrel in .243 will get some getting used to, but my old action, trigger and stock are fantastic!

I'm one of the people who has a deep and abiding love for the 700. I'm sure that you're going to be happy.

But, I also really love at least a dozen other fine weapons.

Remington has traditionally built their budget rifle on the ADL, but it is not a cheaper, less desireable rifle. The only real differences between the ADL and BDL is the floorplate on the BDL. Most of the time the ADL is a cheaper gun, but not always. They have offered both versions with both cut and stamped checkering. Both have come with synthetic stocks. Both have been made in stainless, although stainless ADL's are pretty rare. Both rifles function equally well. Many prefer the ADL (myself included) because the lack of a cutout in the bottom of the stock makes for a stronger setup. The lack of bottom metal also means a lighter rifle.

The CDL was meant as a replacement for the BDL. In fact Remington dropped the BDL from production for a while. Remington still catalogs the BDL, but makes very few of them. The number of chamberings available in the BDL is quite limited. Actually finding a new one in a shop is even harder.

The CDL is not a cheaper version of the BDL. The BDL stock was introduced to compete with the futuristic Weatherby stocks in the 1960's. Back then the high gloss finishes, high Monte Carlo stocks, white spacers and black fore end caps were in style. But quite useless. The CDL is actually a reproduction of the stock designs of the 20's and 30's. It is a more classic, sleeker design without the high gloss finish.

It is more of a matter of taste. Some prefer the looks of an older classic car such as the 1932 Ford which would compare to the CDL. Others like the look of the 1960's cars with tail fins, think BDL.

BDL has 22" in standard calibers, 24" in Mag and high gloss stock. CDL has better wood, a classic stock, and 24" in standard, 26" in Mags.

Back