Remington 700

No they are not floated from the factory...Atleast the cheaper ones arn't, someone told me the Sendero and Target Tactical are but dont quote me

I have a SPS Varmit. It is very accurate sub MOA out of the box. No with this stock it is not free floated. The way the stock is designed it looks like it is but if you try and run a piece of paper down the barrel it isn't. I tried to free float it by sanding the stock down and it didn't work either. The stock isn't ridgid enough to support the weight of the rifle and it flexes and rests on the barrel. So you will most likely want to buy a new stock.

I have a 700VLS in .308. Same rifle for all intents and purposes. I changed out the laminate stock and put on an SPS stock. It is very accurate. I have a Leupold VX1 3-9X40 scope on it. The furthest I have taken any game was a coyote at 217 yards using milsurp ammo. I took a pig with it at about 150 yards using a Barnes X 168gr bullet...Not the highest grade Leupold but more than adequate for my uses...

How far can say a 700 chambred in .308 reach?

Depends on what you're trying to do with it, and which model 700 you choose.

People do use it at 1000 yards all the time, but that's mostly for paper-punching, and you definitely want to get one of the better models for that (the SPS wouldn't cut it - and I say that as an owner of an SPS in .30-06).

I wouldn't use it for hunting at that distance, though. 500 yards and less are more realistic for that (though, this is true for just about ANY round, mostly for ethical reasons, since most people lack the skill to make an ethical kill past that distance).

If you want the best accuracy out of it plan on getting a new stock. Best I did from factory was 11/16 @ 100(5 shots). I went with a Bell& Carlson Medalist A3 and the first group I shot was less than 3/8 @ 100(3 shots). The SPS will do fine out to 1000 provided you use 175gr bullets. 168's will die out between 800-900. 5/16 @ 100 means it is theoretically capable of 3-1/8" at 1000. I'd be very pleased with twice that.

The 700 standard version is a non free floated, blued barrel with their least expensive stock. Thus the pricepoint.

Not bad shooting rifles.. I still prefer Savage in that price range.

I shoot my 700 sps .308 at 1000. It is a great round for punching paper at this distance. I don't however hunt at that range. I'm shooting about 12" at 1000, however I am getting a new stock for it so I think that will shrink down. I am also going to try and load some 180 gr. and see how they do at 1000.

The only difference in the tactical and varments are the stock and barrels
and some other little things. The varment and sps have some eh stocks
on them and the barrels are decent. The SPS Tac. has a hoage stock
and is pillar bedded for accuracy and has a 20" tactical heavy barrel.

All Remington 700's are great guns all together. With a few exceptions like every other company they make a lemon or two but thats production. The U.S. military uses the remingtons as all their bolt action sniper rifles because
of how good remingtons are and their potential. If this is your first rifle id
go with a Remington 700 because it is a good solid gun to learn off of.

Back